01 March 2011

Pillows, pillows, pillows

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Ethan Allen

World Market

What do all these beautiful sofas have in common? Beautiful pillows! They are an easy, pretty way to add some color to almost any room, or to pick up on the colors that you already have. Take the above room from World Market: if you take away those colorful pillows on the couch, that bright blue wall behind it would almost be screaming at you. It's the only color you would notice. But put the pillows back and suddenly that green one makes you notice the other green things in the room, like the fan and the side table. The stripped one ties in with the wall and the blue mat on one of the pictures, and picks up the color of the top framed picture. And the black print on the third pillow picks up the other black accents like the rug, table, picture frames...
Pillows can be the glue that hold a room together. 


Here are my couch pillows:
So neutral. So safe. So boring.


I told my husband last night that I was thinking of recovering them. Or at least some. He looked at me like I was crazy. "Why would you want to cover perfectly good pillows?" Because, I told him, "good" is good, AMAZING is better!

Then this morning I read this post from The Nester and she talked about taking risks with decorating.  I decided that since making covers for my couch pillows carries the risk equivalent of stepping out onto my porch, I should just go for it. What's the worst that could happen? I could hate the new covers and end up wasting the money I spent on the fabric. (Admittedly, that would suck.) OR, they could look awesome, I could LOVE them, and they could take my living room to new levels of gorgeousness. I think it's worth the teeny risk.
Want to try doing it too? I think I'll be using these instructions. They seem pretty idiot-proof, even for someone like me, who struggles to sew in a straight line.
Or if you don't want to cover existing pillows but want to make some cute new ones, check out my friend Jody's blog. She gives an easy tutorial for some simple pillows made from place-mats. The best part about these is that even if you don't have a sewing machine they'd be a cinch to make.

I'm off to Jo-ann's to start looking at fabric!







1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I just got back from buying decorating stuff on my lunch break, and now all I can think about is why the heck didn't I buy anything to make pillows?!

    ReplyDelete