22 April 2011

Back from the brink

This clock has rolled back from the edges of hell. Seriously, I took this thing to a really bad place. Here is what it looked like before:
There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, except that I was tired of the look. Plus I had a vision of it in zebra and it looked insane (-ly awesome!)

One broken glass front and a terrible oil-based paint job later and it had taken a serious turn for the worse. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to bring this one back.

But several coats of white house paint and a trimming of zebra fabric (along with a little prayer) were all this baby needed to be resuscitated. 

I wanted to really tone this thing down and have it be very understated despite the bold fabric trim, so I used the fabric only on the inside edge and I painted over the huge numbers and instead used an Elmer's paint marker to draw over the little triangles that had been above each number. 
I won these, along with a whole box of cool Elmer's stuff, in a drawing held by Amanda at Serenity Now. Before this I had never heard of a paint marker, but let me tell you, they're awesome. The grey one was perfect for my clock.

Here is my living room with the clock before:

And here it is after:
My husband is terrified of the fact that I'm bringing another dose of zebra into the room. But it's so subtle that in the picture you can hardly even see it. I keep reassuring him that we are a long way off from this:

I actually can't decide how much I really like the way it looks. I love it up close, but up on the wall I'm not so sure. It's not the zebra that's throwing me off though; it's the shock of white. I guess I've just gotten so used to seeing a dark color up there that now the white is hard to get adjusted to. I think it's also because other than the candlesticks, this is the only really white thing in this room, so it's standing out a lot.

I switched out the dark books on the top left shelves for some lighter ones, turned so that their white page-edges show. I like the way it looks a little better.

I'm going to keep living with it for a while to decide what I really think. But for now, I'm just happy this clock made it through it's transformation and lived to tell the time another day!









Weekend Bloggy Reading

7 comments:

  1. Brooke, I really like it!! I think the zebra trim looks so awesome!! I see what you mean about the white (good idea turning the books around!) but I think if all you do is put a few more little things around in the same color white it'll balance out great. And honestly I think it looks so good right now! Oh goodness, now I'm thinking about the clock in my kitchen... I might have to give it a makeover one day soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, another wonderful makeover! I like how subtle the zebra trim is and how it goes so well with your zebra throw pillows. It's very amazing how you turn a traditional clock and make it a modern one. If you don't like the all white look, have you considered painting the frame a zebra stripe pattern? Just a thought. Then, maybe you can see the striped pattern from afar and you don't have to live with an all white wall! If you don't like it, you can always paint it white again! :)

    Happy Easter, Brooke!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really neat! Your living room is gorgeous. So glad you like the Paint Pens. :) When are you going to host a craft night? They are addicting!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Happy Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that!!! I have never done a clock makeover but you have inspired me!!! Ill keep my eye out for one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke...thanx for stopping by my blog today! :)
    I wanted to compliment you on your clock...looking at the before and after of the entire living room, the clock really pulls everything together! it makes the room look sleek and sophisticated...love it!
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that clock!

    thanks for stopping by my blog today :) i was scrolling through yours and lo and behold - we have just about matching tv stands! :) you should go for the two tone look on there - I bet you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with the clock! It looks so good in the room. I think it really brightens it up. Great job!
    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete