13 April 2011

Shattered dreams

You'll be shocked to know that not every project I plan goes off without a hitch. Ever since our living room redo I've been wanting to do something with the clock above the tv.

I've been inspired by this picture:
I like how the zebra print from the stool is repeated around the mirror.

I thought since I have the cute zebra pillows on the couches, it would look cool if I wrapped the frame of the clock in the zebra print also.
Can't you just picture it? Looks awesome, huh?!

So anyway yesterday afternoon while the twins were napping I set out to make my vision a reality. I climbed up on a chair and pulled the clock off the wall and just as I was doing this my five year old came in the room and was very concerned with what I was doing. He was like "Oh no Mom, get down from there! You're going to get in trouble." I reassured him that I knew what I was doing and that since I'm a grown up (unlike him) I'm allowed to do things like this. He wasn't convinced. He watched me head out to the garage with a worried look on his face. I planned to repaint the whole clock in a cream color, then put the fabric around it. I took the clock apart and lifted the frame off and the glass instantly fell out and shattered in front of me. 
Oops.
You mean this thing wasn't attached?? Or PLASTIC??!!
It never occurred to me that a clock this cheap would have actual glass; I've always assumed it was plastic, and didn't take any time to study it before I took the clock apart. 
Guess that was mistake number one. 

Mistake number two was deciding to try out some of the leftover paint from our living room shelves and tv cabinet. It's oil based paint and YIKES! It does not come out well on plastic, which is what the frame of this clock is made of. 
My son came out halfway through the horrible paint job, looked disapprovingly over my shoulder and was like "Mom, you're making a bad choice." So annoying when a five year old is right. 

I haven't given up yet. I'm still trying to figure out a way to salvage this wreck of a project. I guess not everything that I create can be a masterpiece. {Sigh}







6 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't hurt yourself when the glass shattered. Your son sure has sixth sense. Hope you can save the clock. Add a new glass or plastic, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it didn't work out like you planned so far, but oh my gosh, that's so funny! I can just hear how he'd say that. I was cracking up reading this! ...And I think the zebra print around the clock will look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep thinking how great it will look when you are finally finished!!

    I can sympathize about the broken glass too, I did a project yesterday that required a (sort of spendy) large frame with glass, I bought one yesterday at Hobby Lobby, got it home, was taking off the back so I could remove the insert and the glass came up a bit and tapped one of the metal fasteners just so and it cracked into 3 pieces. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer!!! Things like that happen to me all the time, because I am way too impatient to do things slowly and think things through. Welcome to my sloppy world!:). I'm sure you will find something even better to put above the TV and be glad that this accident happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acrylic Paint should work good on the plastic! I bet it will look great when it's finished! The glass falling out really stinks, but maybe you don't need to put anything back in it. Did you think about maybe wrapping the face of the clock with the fabric you liked and leaving the outer plastic part the cream color you want? You could do a lot of revamping to a clock! Good luck! Can't wait to see what you figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke thanks for being so real and sharing! Yes, we all have our days! Try some Kilz spray over the oil based paint and it might be ok...that stuff works on anything. Then repaint it! I can't wait to see the finished product... :)
    ~ Jill

    ReplyDelete