04 April 2011

Wrapped in jute

Over the weekend I made some changes to this little pot that I bought a few years ago at a craft store. It's been holding my great grandmother's {very tarnished} silver.

I found some white paint in the garage (Thanks landlord!!) and painted the top...

Then I wrapped the bottom half in jute (or hemp....whichever name you prefer...)
So much prettier!

I was on a roll with my hemp cord (or jute...whatever...) so next I wrapped up the plastic cup holding some spring grass that my son brought home from school. 

Before:

After:
I was afraid that my hot glue gun might burn through the plastic but it didn't. At least I don't think so. I guess if this thing suddenly withers up and dies I'll know why.

Wrapping up that plant gave me a great idea for some cheap decor. Since my track record with plants is not so great, this one doesn't have a very long life-span, regardless of the glue. So once this thing dies off I plan to wrap some more plastic cups like this and fill them with fake grass. A little grouping of them would be so cute.

Want more ideas on using jute? Check out these sites:










Now get wrapping!


















5 comments:

  1. Such a simple idea but something I never thought of! Loving both your makeovers. I am so inspired and it's such a doable project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by the blog & letting me know about your post. You definitely improved two very simple things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of those! It's crazy how a change to such a small thing can make a huge difference! That pot used to just blend into the cookbooks, and now it really stands out. And I love how once again you took a kid's school project and made it so stylish! I also really like the other pictures you posted, especially the jute wrapped around the glass vases. Another great decorating idea I can add to my to-do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for featuring my vase!! I really like all the ideas you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for featuring my basket! :) - heather

    ReplyDelete