18 May 2011

Concrete countertops

I've realized that I am not a granite girl. Don't get me wrong; it's pretty and I like it, but there's another look that I like even better:
Concrete. It's gorgeous for more than floors.









I love how it still has the look of stone, without being busy like granite. 

The best part about these is that although I'm sure hiring a contractor is preferable, this is a doable DIY project. Be warned though- it doesn't look like it's for the faint of heart. But if you're feeling brave here's a couple sites I found with instructions: How To Make Concrete Countertops (-a whole site dedicated to this! Awesome!) And of course the always helpful DIY Network.

I tried so hard to get my hubby to tackle this project with me in our last house. Sometimes I even imagined letting some tragic "accident" happen to our formica countertops so we'd be forced to make a change. But I didn't give in to the temptation. Don't want to be this lady. Ha ha! 










6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of granite either (at least not for my own home)....these concrete ones look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful inspirations, Brooke! I agree with you while granite countertops looks great, I prefer something else too. My preference are travertine and marble countertops. I like the look of concrete contertops too, they are so practical and durable.

    Have a fabulous day!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have concrete countertops (and floors!). The ones you show here are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke, I think you should go for it and DIY the concrete countertops. I ripped out the carpet in my living room and my family room and refinished the concrete floors in my traditional home. I love how they turned out and I'm in the process of doing the same thing in one of my daughter's bedrooms. If you want to see how they turned out go to http://anythingologyblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/step-by-step-instructions-on-how-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! My sister just did concrete floors in her pool house and they turned out so cool. Not to mention super budget friendly!!

    ReplyDelete