06 June 2011

My tables are done!

....and oh, how I love them!!!!

I've been loving everything about my living room lately except for these tables.
They got left behind when I did a little makeover on the rest of the room, and ever since, they've been throwing off my living room's mojo.

But not any more!! Just take a look at them now:
I used the same paint shade that I used on the tv cabinet and shelves, "Woodrow Wilson Presidential White" only instead of Valspar from Lowes, I had it matched with Glidden at Home Depot (only because I was already there for other supplies and didn't want to store-hop), and went with acrylic paint this time instead of the oil-based. I can confidently say that I will never, ever use oil-based paint again. The acrylic was amazing- no horrible fumes, no messy brush strokes, no clean up with chemicals- I love a paint that I can wash off of a brush or my skin with water. It's so much easier to use and dries faster. I could go on and on. 
The other paint colors that I used were Glidden's "White on White" and Martha Stewart Living Precious Metals in "Tin". I used that one on all the brackets on the tops of the tables, and on the hardware on the drawer-fronts of the coffee table. The "White on White" I used for a stencil on the tabletops. 

Here's the low-down on this project:
Tons of sanding- Thanks to a move across the country and a lot of rough encounters with toys, these tables were in REALLY bad shape. 

I used a super heavy-grit sandpaper and then filled in all the dents with Elmers Wood Filler. There were so many dents that I practically had to paint it onto the table tops. 


Then I painted both tables all over with the "Woodrow Wilson Presidential White". {No separate primer- it was mixed into the paint.}

I painted all the hardware with the Martha Stewart "Tin"- 
{Here's a picture taken by my 6 year old:}

Then I got to the fun part- the stenciling. I used this "Iron Lattice" design that I found at Hobby Lobby:
Since what I had really wanted for my living room was a round coffee table, I figured I'd use a stencil design that would soften up the look of my rectangular table. I thought the rounded edges of this design were perfect. 

The side table was super easy because the stencil fit right over the square in the center of the table:

I used a foam brush to dab the white paint over the cut-outs in the stencil, and used a paper towel to blot out the excess paint from my brush so that it wouldn't run under the stencil. 
The coffee table was trickier because I had to reposition the stencil several times. I LOVE how it came out though:
It's subtle but super pretty. 


The last thing I did with the tables was to paint them with 3 coats of Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish (I did 4 over the stenciled areas) and did a light sand between coats. Then I let them dry for a couple days. 

I am so happy with how they turned out!























Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Weekend Bloggy Reading

12 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! These look amazing and the stencil was the perfect touch! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your table makeovers. Now, your living room truly comes together. Well done, Brooke.

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job!!! Now I need to come see your living room in person! Let's plan a playdate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing at Chic on a Shoestring! I haven't tried to stencil yet but your table and coffee table are so inspiring! I have to check out the Hobby Lobby stencil section the next time I am there!
    Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the subtle stencil design! You did a wonderful job making it look clean and even, so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new color and the stencil! Stopping by from Serenity Now:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you for this wonderful tutorial! I have had my coffee and end tables for 9 years and they are a dark brown and really worn. I have been wanting to make them over and I am so inspired by your design. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fantastic!! The stencil work is subtle and very modern looking. :) Great work!

    Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party (and for linking back-I appreciate that!). Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the white furniture re-do! And the stencil I love too - I was looking at that stencil as a possibility for our guess room. Still undecided. And I have your mirrored Target tray - too funnyi :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those tables turned out so beautifully- i especially love the very subtle tones of the stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love! they turned out amazing. the stencil is very cool. i have a party going on right now if you'd like to link.

    http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/07/anything-goes-party-27.html

    ReplyDelete