25 July 2011

Christmas in July

 Christmas came early for me this year. At least that's what it feels like. My parents have a bunch of stuff stored that belonged to my great grandmother, and this weekend I GOT DIBS.

My Dad met my husband and I to look at it, and told me that I could have what ever I wanted. Then he rolled open the door and we all got a big puff of dust/dirt/dead bugs in our faces.

Rob was still choking on spider webs when I started squealing and jumping up and down.

The table I ate at as a kid


A mirrored sideboard + two hard-to-see chairs

The vanity where I learned to do my make up at 13


A dresser

In my head I was hearing that song, "I want it all...I want it all...I want it all...and I want it now!"
{Rob was still standing in the doorway with a disgusted look on his face.}

This stuff really is in awful shape. Like gross...dirty........and covered in dust, scratches, spider webs and even some spilled nail polish. But oooooh the potential....it has me giddy. Can you imagine that sideboard after it's all cleaned up and with a fresh coat of paint? And that table after hours of sanding and a dark stain?? They are going to be pretty!!! 

I'm so glad I've been getting rid of stuff. Now I've made room in the moving truck for more. Not that all of this will be coming with us right away....some my dad will bring up to us later. 

I now have projects to last me months and I'm stoked. I want this move to be over with so I can hurry up and get started!


8 comments:

  1. I couldn't even imagine all the stuff you can do with them with paint and stain! Oh, the potential!

    My favorite is the solid round dining table!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!!
    I know how giddy this must make you feel. I was the lucky one of the family who got first dibs on my grandma's old stuff. Well, actually it was just between my brother and me---and he didn't want any of it =) Although I did keep most of the furniture, the most treasured piece I was so happy to get was a small nightstand from the mid 1800s. It belonged to my great grandmother and then later it was passed on to my grandmother. This nightstand was by my grandma's bedside when my dad was born---back in the days when it was pretty much standard for women to give birth at home. I also have the matching bed frame/headboard and two dressers. Plus an old pedestal sewing machine--think that's what you call them (?). It's also from the mid 1800's and never used. No women in my family ever knew how to sew---still don't....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! My husband wouldn't understand what a big deal this is either. I'm lucky to have many heirlooms from my mom, grandmother, great, and great grandmother. I cherish all of them and try to repurpose and spruce them up. I think it honors them and gives my girls a sense of their family history. Can't wait to see what you do with them. TAKE IT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fantabulous! the furniture is gorgeous and we will have sooo much fun cleaning it up. Also, the fact that it belonged to your grandmother (and you learned the ever so important skill of make-up application on that dresser) just makes it all the more special!

    This reminds me of when I went to Portugal as a young girl and walked into my grandparents house that had been abandoned for decades. There was beautiful furniture that I remember wanting to bring back to Canada. Love old furniture!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky girl I cant wait to see what you do with all these treasures theres such great potential here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that table is GORGEOUS. I love that they all have history for you too. Now why can't I find a yard sale with amazing furniture like that, for SUPER cheap? Is that too much to ask? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome pieces!! Looks like lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete