01 August 2011

Striped table

 I told you last week that I was making some fab changes to this boring table...

Here it is today!



I wanted to replace the original knobs with glass ones, but after two different sets failed to fit over the gigantic holes that are in the fronts of these drawers, I gave up for the moment and put the old knobs back. Not loving them but they're working till I find something that fits right. 


I thought it would be really fun to have the stripes going in different directions.

This was actually a really fast and easy project since I kept all the original black paint. To add the stripes I taped over the whole whole drawer fronts with masking tape, planning out which lines I wanted white and which I wanted black, and then went back and peeled up the tape in the spots that were getting the white paint.(-The reason I'd taped those spots was just to make sure everything ended up spaced evenly.) When my last coat of white paint was about halfway dry to the touch, I peeled up the tape over the black areas. Any little spots where white paint had slipped under the edge of the tape and gotten onto the black scraped up easily with a damp rag over my fingernail. 

I painted the table top white and gave the whole table a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic. The black paint on the table had been very flat, so the clear coat helped to make the black a little more dramatic and just nicer looking. 


L-O-V-E-ing the stripes. 

Now it's ready for the move!














7 comments:

  1. The stripes are so eye-catching and very chic! It is such a statement piece now!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous "new" table !! You did a fantastic job ... the stripes are amazing. Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke! Your table is fantastic - wow! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog today - I sure love your blog header - it's beautiful!!! How did you come up with your name? I am always curious (since there are so many of us). I had no idea when I chose mine that it wasn't all that original but I do love it. The first time I registered with a design showroom I was shocked that there were already a few people with "my" name. I chose it because I am an organizer / designer. So I actually do design from the inside (closets) out (decor). I also love that it correlates to how God changes us (from the inside out). What is your story? I love your passion for design (I read your first post) and am glad you found me. xo Sherri (@ Inside Out Design) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa that is snazzy! I LOVE it! Love love LOVE it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GORGEOUS! I can't believe that's the same table! Amazing!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog...Absolutely love the bold stripes on your table. Definitely not looking like the same table. Different and creative. http://decoratingwcents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, totally need to do this. Now I have to decide how I want mine to look. Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete