08 September 2011

Finally! Pictures of our new home!

I'm back! Has anyone missed me? {Now that I've asked that, it's going to be really depressing if I don't get any comments on this post. It'll be like the answer to my question is a resounding "NO". haha}

It's taken so much longer than I thought it would to get back into a routine. Getting a new house to function best for us, and getting to know a new city and learning my way around has been taking a lot more time than I'd anticipated. Honestly, the thing that's been eating up the most of my time and that has kept me from blogging even after we got the internet has been learning to grocery shop here. These are all new stores to me, with coupon policies I'm not used to, so the weekly chore of making my shopping list has been taking me several extra hours. But I'm getting the hang of it. Oh yeah, I guess I haven't mentioned that in addition to being addicted to decorating, I'm also addicted to couponing. I gotta support my decorating habit somehow, and getting my groceries dirt cheap really helps.

Anyways, here are the long-overdue pictures of the cute little house we are renting. I didn't get any pictures of it before we started bringing stuff in, so all I've got are the ones I took once the house was all put together. Most of these I took a couple weeks ago, so some things are already a little different, like the kitchen, but this is pretty much what it all looks like.


Our old house, all emptied out on our last day there. 

New house:
The view from the front door of the living room & dining room


dining room

view from the dining room to the front door

My favorite part about the living room is that tree right outside the window that looks like it's growing right behind the couch. It's as pretty as a picture. 

 kitchen


view of the dining room from the kitchen

The hallway upstairs is decorated with framed pictures made by our 6 year old. 

I think the best thing about small houses is how they force you to get creative. This ladder almost got banished to the basement because I wasn't sure where I could fit it. Then I thought to use it to hold magazines. Brilliant! Looks cool, and serves a purpose. 

This is too funny..... I've always made fun of pink bathrooms, and now I've got one. A pink toilet, tub and sink, complete with two pink walls and a pink ceiling. 

This house has a few other really funny features that I'll post about later, but none of which can be blamed on the current homeowners. They are merely the victims of 80 years worth of other people's bad decisions. I think we have the nicest landlords on the planet. Really. They even left flowers and cupcakes for us when we first got here. 

Downsizing wasn't easy. In all, we got rid of two couches, a kitchen table & four chairs, a tv and tv stand, all of our master bedroom furniture except for our bed, and countless other misc things. I felt like we got rid of so much stuff, but when we got here we realized we still had way too much for this house so we had to get rid of a few more things, plus stuff a lot of unpacked boxes down in the basement. 

It's been really fun though, to decorate a house that's a completely different style than what I'm used to. While I haven't dreamed of renting an old house since you can't do anything to update it, I have always wanted to own one, so it's still fun for me to walk around and imagine what I would do to it if this was my house. And it's already super cute. 

This is home for a while, and we are enjoying it. 














11 comments:

  1. I love it, Brooke! The Kannis' always had it decorated really cute and you've done a great job incorporating your own stuff into a smaller and older home. Its amazing what you can do with an old home that isn't updated. Awesome! And I need some ideas on couponing! Well, strategies, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post, Brooke! The new house is adorable. My favorite part might be the view of the dining room from the living room. It just looks so cozy! Hope you guys are staying 'warm' with this cold front that came through the north. I cannot wait to hear how you fair in the winter. Muahahahaha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, (o; And I have missed your blogging! Trying to downsize my belongings into a a much smaller place too! I also have a pink bathroom, but just walls. LOL Looking forward to more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new home!! You've done a fabulous job decorating it. Congratulations. Love your kiddo's artwork, and great use for your cool ladder! And, thanks so much for your sweet note about my splashes of Fall! I look forward to seeing what you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how much decorating you've done already! Love the big window in the livingroom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its way cute and you have to be organized to get things together this quick.Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new home looks warm and inviting! I can't believe how quick you finished packing and you even got to decorate most rooms. This home has so many great features especially those huge windows in the living room.

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed you Brooke!!! Your new home is awesome. I can't believe you have it all put together with pics. Up on the walls already. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am new to your blog and am so glad that I found it!! You home looks so pretty and you have it decorated beautifully. Glad to hear that you are getting settled in and learning your way around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny - Rob told me he chose that house BECAUSE of the pink bathroom. Whoops - maybe he didn't want me to share that............
    Glad you're posting again Brooke! I've missed you!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Brooke! Your new house looks so cute! How are you liking having a basement? I remember we use to roller skate in ours in the winter when it was too cold go play outside! Good luck this winter!!!

    ReplyDelete