12 September 2011

What I'm saving every cent for

 The dining room is one of my favorite rooms in this house; I think it is so pretty. The only thing about it that I'm really not crazy about is this light fixture:


You always hear that lighting is the fastest way to make or break a room, and this thing is KILLING this room. 

Here's what I'm going to replace it with:


I love it. Love it, love it, love it. I dream about it all the time. 

Look how pretty it is hanging above a table:

I'm a fairly greedy person, so my list of things I lust after is usually pretty long. But every once in a while something comes along that I just Have. Got. To. Have. Can't live without it. 

Unfortunately now that my husband is in law school and our budget has tightened like a noose, running out and dropping $300 on a light fixture isn't something I can do right now. So, I'm saving every single cent and I've put this light fixture on my extremely short Christmas list. I am absolutely determined to be ringing in the New Year under this thing. 

Lighting is one of the easiest ways that you can make a rental home feel more like you. And since no one wants to spend money on a house that isn't theirs, it's perfect because when you leave, you can take your fixture with you to put into your next house. (Just make sure you save all the old lighting so you can put it back before you leave- I'm sure nothing would infuriate a landlord like walking in and finding a bunch of empty holes in the ceiling.) 

One thing I realized though, is that you have to check first to make sure the old fixtures haven't left damage on the ceiling that your new fixture wont be able to hide. 

I really wanted to replace this light fixture in the hallway...


...with this pretty chandelier from Ikea:


But if you look really closely at my hallway's light fixture, the ceiling was painted around the outside edge of it. 


So if we took it down, there'd be a big circle on the ceiling. And I really don't feel like repainting the ceiling just so I can have a new light fixture. At least not right this second.... {Plus, I realize that whether or not that chandelier would work there is questionable anyway...if we couldn't hang it high enough we'd be hitting it with the closet door. Sigh. Nothing bums me out like having my vision squashed by reality.} 

But just envisioning the West Elm chandelier dangling above my dining room table is enough to keep me happy right now. I am so in love- I can't wait to have it!!





6 comments:

  1. I love the glass link chandelier from West Elm! I hope you figure out a way to get or maybe make it… I just did a post on a cool bubble chandelier, come check it out when you get a chance. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I love that chandelier too! I figured out how to DIY it....clear shower curtain hooks, you know those cheap ones from WalMart! It would be way cheaper!

    Kari @ the Sunset Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this light fixture at West Elm in person and it's mesmerizing to say the least. Maybe you can get them cheaper when they have Thanksgiving sale this year? Also, sign up for their newsletter. I did and they always have one day 20% discount or something on all their products! Good luck!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm new to your blog. I agree with you on lighting fixtures, they can take a room from cute to 'drop down, mouth opening, gorgeous'. I love the chandelier you fixture you selected, with careful budgeting I'm sure you'll have it in time for holiday celebrations. http://decoratingwcents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! Great lighting adds so much to a space! Love the glass links choice, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke, LOVE the glass link chandelier and it looks awesome! You should go for the IKEA fixture too and just get a small medallion to cover the ceiling paint line up.

    ReplyDelete