26 October 2011

Turning a wall hanging into a pillow

 I was looking back through some pictures and realized there are some projects I did a few months ago that I forgot to post about. One of them is a pillow that I made for my sister as a bridal shower gift.

I had had this fabric map of Finland stuffed in a closet for years. It used to belong to my grandmother and I wanted it because I loved the colors.


The details are great





I knew that at some point I'd figure out something amazing to do with this, so I stashed it away {and forgot about it}. 

Fast forward a few years when I was packing up our last house and planning my sister's bridal shower and came across it. I knew these colors would be gorgeous in my sister's house, so I decided to turn it into a pillow for her couch. 

I cut off the border and the wood strips at the ends



Then I just folded it in half and cut it so I had two squares. I stuck the right sides together and sewed it up, then turned it right side out, stuffed it and closed up the hole. Super simple. 


I thought about buying a pillow form and making this into a cover for that, but I was worried that I'd lose too much of the fabric that way. By stuffing this I was able to use everything that I wanted to. 

I love how it turned out.



This is my favorite side- I love all the little details!


This is such a fun and unique pillow, and it looks great on my sister's couch! 





5 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog! So glad I did...For sure becoming a new follower and scrolling back for more great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! Love the pillows, Brooke. It looks way better than a wall hanging art. Initially, I thought you would cut the map into two and make two pillows out of it, to get more bang for your buck. Either way, it looks great!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea. Our pastor brings back calendars like this when he goes on missionary trips to the Phillipines. Maybe it would work for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, LOVE this pillow! I have had fabric sitting in the corner of my craft room for months now. I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete