08 December 2011

My plan for a giant bowl

 So a few days ago when I posted my Christmas wish-list
one of the items I mentioned was this giant silver bowl from West Elm.


I love it. I look at it every time I go into the store. It's huge, it's shiny, and it's fabulous. 

And I have the perfect plan for it.


I want to replace this round mirror above the fireplace with the bowl from West Elm.

I love the mirror. I got it at World Market several years ago and it's very pretty and looks beautiful hanging above the mantle. But in this house at least, I've decided I definitely don't want a mirror in the living room. 

Why? 

Because we have the world's most hideous ceiling fan in our living room.


I can't decide what it resembles more- a spinning top, a ufo, or a cone bra.



{On second thought, I think this picture just made up my mind.}


The only thing worse than having to look at a super ugly light fixture,
is having to look at it twice.


So for now at least, the mirror has to go. 

{Gaaaa....and don't even get me started on those sconces....deep breaths....One thing at a time, right??}


btw just as a side note, you can see my holiday mantle is made up of quite an eclectic assortment of stocking hangers...as our family has grown I've just dashed out to the store at Christmas time to grab a hanger for the newest person (or people) so our stocking hangers are a pretty unstylish-looking mix. Some day I'd love to replace them with some that are more uniform looking, but that's not really a priority right now. 


 I'm much more concerned with getting rid of the double image 
of my cone bra-looking ceiling fan.


I'd love to just get rid of the fan and have NO images of it,
but my hubby refuses to live without a ceiling fan in the living room and all the ones that are even remotely my style are too expensive for us right now.  

I'd love to have something like this

A ceiling fan that's hidden inside of a drum shade. Hopefully someday I will.

But for now, the most affordable option to my living room's problem is to at least make it so we've only got one unsightly light to look at instead of two. 

And this bowl hanging above the mantle would solve that problem 
while still having the bright, reflective look of a mirror.


What do you think, good plan?

5 comments:

  1. I see where youre going with it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see that gorgeous shiny bowl above your fireplace mantel. I think West Elm is having a sale on accessories right now, I could be wrong but you can check.

    Have a lovely day, Brooke!

    Jessie
    wwww.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan! I actually bought a giant silver bowl like that from homegoods, but couldn't decide where to put it that would be safe from my toddler, so I returned it. Did NOT think about hanging it on the wall! So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny! Did you really type cone bra? It's the perfect analogy to your ceiling fan. Sorry about that, I too have an ugly ceiling fan that has to stay for now. I love the bowl and think its a great idea for over the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I just laughed out loud. I think your idea of using the bowl is really terrific. It'll have a similar shiny effect as a mirror without the actual reflection. I can't wait to see what you do! That bowl is really beautiful. I'm glad to hear I"m not the only one who puts housewares on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete