02 April 2012

Girls, Hang On To Your Skirts!

 Because you can make cute pillows with them!


I got this pretty skirt from Express YEARS ago and sadly, after 3 kids it just doesn't zip the way it used to. :(


But I've been holding on to it because I love the fabric. I swear, it's like it was made for my house. So last week I got the idea to make some pillows with it. 

I already had a small pillow form that needed a new cover, so that's what I used for my first pillow.

I cut the front panel off of my skirt


Then followed this envelope pillow cover tutorial for taking my measurements and cutting the fabric.




For the front of my cover I used the skirt fabric, and for the back I used an old sheet that is the same color as the darkest tan flowers on the skirt. 

Here are my pieces inside out and sewn all the way around. (For a more detailed tutorial for making this type of cover go here.)

And here it is on the pillow. It was a little flat looking because the pillow was old so I ended up cutting the pillow open and adding some stuffing. So it's not this thin now. 



After making my first pillow I wanted another one, so I cut another piece off the sheet that I'd used as the backing for my first pillow. 


I cut two thick strips of the skirt fabric and laid them over the sheet, positioning them the way I wanted the front of my pillow to look.


I cut out both sections of sheet from under the skirt pieces


...and discarded those two pieces of sheet fabric, so that I was left with 5 separate panels.


Starting at one end, I flipped the end piece over the printed fabric so both right sides were facing each other, then I sewed them together at the edge. 


I attached each piece of fabric the same way till I had my whole front piece. 



I cut a piece of the sheet as a backing and with right-sides facing each other, sewed the front and back all the way around, leaving a small space to turn the pillow right side out and stuff it. 


Enter this stuffed lion, that my kids recently ripped several holes in:


I could have trashed him {or repaired him- but who wants to take the time to do that!?} 
but instead I've been saving him, knowing that his insides would make great stuffing for some future project. I figure he's saving me like ten bucks in polyfill- score!

So anyways, Mr. Lion donated like 50% of his innards to my pillow. 

And here is the finished result! I love that with this project, I gave new life to a skirt, a sheet, and a stuffed animal! 



My two cute pillows living it up on the couch. 



I love this fabric with all the other green stuff around. And it's such a sweet contrast to the zebra. 



At least if I can't wear my skirt anymore, my couch can!

Next time you clean out your closets, make sure you save the stuff that goes with your decor!


















9 comments:

  1. You are always the creative one, Brooke. I have so many pretty skirts that don't fit anymore, now I know what to do with them! Thanks for the inspiration. Your pillows look great, by the way!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I must say, I'm so impressed. This post has me thinking about some of my own old clothes and how to use them! I hope you will check out my blog!
    xo Your newest follower
    Tiffany
    thedesignerlifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I think I really needed to see this! I never throw old clothes out in the hopes that I can do something like this with them but I am never motivated enough! You have just given me the kick I needed to get off my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cutest recycling ever! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrifty on many levels...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea! I'm going to have to start shopping the skirt racks at thrift stores to see if there are any with fabric I like. In some cases it would probably be cheaper than buying fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so creative and smart. Who would have known to recycle a skirt and turn into a beautiful pillow! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for keeping that skirt :) Using it as an accent stripe, instead of the whole pattern actually draws your attention to it more--great job! Picked this as a fave of mine from Ginger Snap Craft's party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this I like the zebra pillows as well lol! Hi I am a new follower from http://craftyhousemom.blogspot.com would love it if you visited

    ReplyDelete