21 May 2012

My Bench Fabric Is Here!!

 So if you remember,  several weeks ago I made a spur-of-the-moment purchase at Target- this pretty, peacock blue curtain panel:


I bought it because at the time I wanted to use it to upholster my dining room bench:


Once I got it home though, I didn't love it with the dining room rug. They didn't look awful together, but I didn't love the two prints together. The rug is such a basic, graphic print that I wanted to pair it with a print that was a lot busier. And this Target curtain panel, while it had more going on with the design than the simple zig-zag lines of the rug, was still not busy enough for me to love the two together. So back to Target it went. 

I hunted online for weeks to find the perfect fabric for this bench and also for my coffee table- which is going to be an upholstered ottoman soon! I wanted two fabrics that looked great together but that weren't matchy-matchy. And also the one for the bench had to look great with the rug. I wanted that one to be the busiest of the two fabrics. 

Sooo, after much deliberation, I picked my two fabrics and I just LOVE them!! I'm still waiting on the one for the coffee table to arrive so I'll wait to reveal that one, but the fabric for the bench showed up today and I'm thrilled with it!!


It's from Spoonflower  and it's called Gray Cream Ikat. I had been debating whether I wanted to go with a super brightly colored fabric for the bench. For a little while I'd had my eye on this one:


It's the Aztec Armor, also on Spoonflower. 

At this point I'd already chosen the fabric for the ottoman, and while the two look nothing alike, the pointy shape of the feather ends mimics the shape in the design of the ottoman fabric (you'll see when I post about it!:) So the two would have worked well together. 

But in the end I decided to go with my gut and get the simple gray and white Ikat and I'm sooo glad I did! 

I laid it out across the bench to see in person how it looks with the rug, and it's perfect!!


I'm DYING to get this on here for real so we can start living with it! I just want to skip over the whole "proper upholstering" and just grab my glue gun and stick the fabric down now! (But I won't, I promise.)

I got a bunch more of this fabric than I needed because I have some other fun plans for it that I'll talk about later! 


OH, but before I go, I've been meaning to show you guys what I won in a giveaway a few weeks ago. It's going to come in pretty handy for my upcoming upholstery projects...


This I-Top that I can use to make fabric covered buttons- perfect for the tufting I want to do on the ottoman! (and possibly the bench too.)

It came with a whole box of accessories:


...the best being all these buttons and pins just waiting for fabric.


I'm going to have a ton of fun with this thing!

The giveaway was on the site The Winthrop Chronicles
and I just want to tell Sarah again thanks so much!!







6 comments:

  1. I almost bought those curtains at Target the other day! I'm still thinking about it...they'd look good in my living room. Anyway, I love the new fabric! It looks great with the rug! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new fabric really is amazing with that rug. Geometric and Ikat look fab together. xo
    Tiffany
    tiffanyleighinteriordesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoy your i-top! I love your plans you have for your room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is amazing...can't wait to see in covered!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is just right. It looks spot on with your rug. Can't wait to see how the bench turns out and what you do with your ottoman!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to add that I've officially decided to buy those curtains. I'm going to Target today to buy them! Even though you didn't end up using it, thanks for posting the picture and reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete