03 May 2012

Pillow Cover Made From A Rug




I'm starting to feel like such a pillow prowess. I've created pillows from a cleaning rag, a wall hanging, a skirt, and now a rug.


I've been wanting some added texture for our couch so my plan for a while had been to cover all the large dark pillows with fluffy sheepskin covers. We've decided that we don't want to take this couch with us when we move, however, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money to make covers for a couch we're only going to have for another couple years. (I like to decorate with my long-term plans in mind.)

So I decided that I'd just give this couch a small dose of texture in the form of a little pillow that can come with us to the next house (and couch).

I recently made two small pillows for our couch using an old skirt of mine. I hadn't been thrilled with the outcome of one of them because the new cover wasn't perfectly fitting the pillow form I put it on. So, it was the perfect pillow to make a new cover for.

Here is the rug I used:


A white, loopy rug from Bed, Bath & Beyond. 

It was the perfect size to make two small pillows {which I didn't end up doing...in the end I decided only to make one for now, but my original plan is why you'll see two of everything in my tutorial pics.}

I cut the rug in half


and then used an old sheet to make the backing for the cover.


I had a specific plan for how I wanted to do this that made this pillow cover a little trickier than a normal one. Because the front of the cover was going to be so textured, I didn't want the flat back cover to show at all from the sides. So when I took my measurements for the cover (you can read more about how to measure for a simple envelope pillow cover here) I subtracted an inch or so all the way around the back piece, and I added about an inch to the front piece. This way the front piece would wrap around the sides of the pillow so that when you look at it from the side you only see the white shaggy part, not the flat back part. 

This plan meant that sewing this was going to be even more of a challenge since not only was the backing too small for the front but I also had all those loops to contend with. 

When I had the back of my pillow cover measured, cut, halved, and seamed, I laid it out on top of the front cover to see what I was going to be working with:



To make sewing this less of a nightmare I cut away a row of loops all the way around so I'd have a little more of a flat surface to work with.



And here it is all ready to start sewing:


Yikes this looked thick. 
I'm so tempted to throw a "that's what she said" at the end of that.


I started out using my sewing machine but the groaning noises it was making while trying to sew through all this were making me nervous. Plus it was too hard to keep everything lined up right since my backing was too small for the front cover. So I ended up sewing it all the way around by hand. I used a super strong upholstery thread so even though my sloppy stitching was far from machine perfect, it still felt like the cover would hold together pretty well. 

Here is an in-progress shot, and you can see that my plan with the sizing of the front and back worked perfectly- as I was sewing it, the front piece started curving upwards since the back was smaller, so I knew that the textured part would wrap around the sides of the pillow. 



And here it is all done.



I love how it looks sharing the couch with the other little pillow that I made with a skirt




And I especially love how all the over-the-top texture looks with the texture of the little vase that I bought at West Elm a few days ago. 



I'm super happy with this little pillow!
























Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Weekend Bloggy Reading

DelectableHome

I MADE THIS

14 comments:

  1. LOVE it! What a great idea!! You are like the McGyver of pillows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I always see those floor mats and think they would be super cute as something else more decorative. It just felt wrong to stand on the cuteness. So, when I saw this post I smiled and just had to leave a comment telling you they look perfect and amazing! Great job :)

    Blessings!
    Janiene

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps...

    newest follower right here!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! :)

    I just pinned some tea towel pillows. My hubby is going to think i'm crazy when I start making pillows out of all kinds of random things. haha!

    xoxo,
    Melissa
    t-g-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me. You are so creative. I like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are so creative this turned out great! I love your blog, I focus on designing for baby nurseries and more! Coming from a blog hop and am a new follower! I would love if you followed me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun little project! I love how your pillow turned out, it's perfect and adorable!

    Have a wonderful day, Brooke!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! Such great texture! http://gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-made-this-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun & creative. Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a fabulous idea for a pillow cover!! Ok I am really loving that mirror above the fire place too! Great blog :)

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is AWESOME! I think I have that same rug...maybe I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I would have never thought of that. And I have that same rug and walk over it everyday on my way to the laundry room (AKA my garage!). Now I know that when I get tired of it as a rug I can turn it into a pillow!
    I love your new little vase too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were very smart not to push it with your machine. What kind of stitch did you use to sew the pieces together? Good idea using the upholstery thread also. Love the idea of using the bath rug. How cute and clever. Now you'll have a few of us shopping for bath rugs. Just have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. And a lot cheaper than buying a shag pillow.

    ReplyDelete