31 August 2012

A Mouse In My House

 Ho-ly-crap.

So today I'd been planning on posting about a bunch of bedroom rearranging and organizing that we've been doing around here, but I'm just not in the frame of mind to post about that after experiencing a traumatic event this morning. 

Here is the panicked text that I sent to my sister. 
Sorry that my language is so colorful; I was under duress. 



Yes. A freaking mouse. In my house. Running right past my feet. I don't think I have ever screamed so loud in my entire life. All the windows were open so I'm surprised a neighbor didn't think I was being attacked and call 911. I heard the bathroom door bang open upstairs so I was screaming for Rob to come down because there was a mouse, and he yelled down that he was on the toilet so I screamed back "I'm on the table!!!!" 

Here is the scene of the horror, and the vacuum where I abandoned it. 




From my vantage point on top of the table I had seen the mouse run under this radiator by the front door.



I sat up on the table and continued to scream while I dialed the pest control company and then in my out-of-breath, panic-stricken voice told the lady who answered that I had just seen a mouse and that I was up on my table and I needed someone to come out to the house right away. But she said the soonest anyone can come is Wednesday, which means I have to live through the weekend and halfway into next week knowing there is a mouse (or mice!!) lurking somewhere in the house. I asked her what I should do in the meantime and how people stay safe if there are mice in their house and she said to set out traps. Oh-em-gee. Can't believe this is happening. 

Meanwhile Rob had come down and was trying to coax me off the table. I told him I thought I'd stay up there until he finishes school in 2 years. He got a flashlight and shined it under the radiator and that's when he saw the hole in the floor that I told my sister about in the text. Holy crappers. An actual mouse hole. I thought those only existed in tv shows. I was still in compete freakout mode and was shrieking to Rob that this can't be happening because it's 2012 and people don't get mice in their houses in 2012. He was trying to calm me down and kept saying he knew it was totally gross but that I didn't have to be so terrified of a little mouse but I reminded him that little mice are what carried Bubonic Plague to all of Europe. (Ok, so technically it was the brown rat, and even more technically it was their fleas, but whatever.) Then at some point I started babbling about the cartoon Tom & Jerry and Rob was looking at me like I'd completely lost my mind. Which I was starting to feel like. Terror will do that to you. 

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that in the end Rob had to hug me while I cried and babbled some more about how I couldn't believe we had an actual mouse in our house. Then I had the terrifying thought that maybe it had been a rat, which made me want to pack up the house and go to a hotel until the place had been fumigated. (Not that I hadn't already asked that we do that.)

Rob ended up taking me out to lunch for some "comfort food" and I drowned my horror in a bowl of fettuccine alfredo. 

I still am in shock. And terrified to walk by the radiators. Or to go down in the basement. I'm terrified I'll see something like this:



I'm sitting "criss-cross-applesauce" (as my 7 year old likes to call it) in my chair right now to keep my feet off the ground. Please keep your fingers crossed for us that we make it till Wednesday with no more mouse sightings!! And without getting the plague...or rabies. Shudder. 

A little while after we got home from lunch I passed the kids toy basket in the living room and saw this book sticking out. Oh the irony. 





22 comments:

  1. Stay strong! : ) mice are much more easily handled than bed bugs, termites or cockroaches, right?? (I lived through each of those and I, like you, would be up on the table!)maybe that doesn't make you feel any better, sorry! Do your kids want a pet, maybe a cat would help you feel better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly!! It actually crossed my mind to get a cat! But we already have 2 dogs and for now that's my pet limit. :)

      Delete
  2. LOL! I actually don't mind mice...(Definitely DO NOT want them in my house though). I work in a warehouse for my summer job so I see them somewhat often scurrying about. Just try and remember that they are blind and scared of you too! You'll make it to Wednesday, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that!! I didn't know that they are blind though. The poor thing is probably deaf now too from my screaming! Lol.

      Delete
  3. Maybe you can adopt it as your family pet! Just kidding:)
    I'd be terrified as well. Hope they find a new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! We found a mouse in our old house. I told Brandon we had to move immediately! He thought that was a little drastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I told Rob the same thing!!

      Delete
  5. I was laughing the whole time I read this. (Sorry, Brooke) But if I were you, I would be terrified, too. Hopefully, you won't see it again!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke, I totally get it. I hate mice. Like seriously can't stand 'em. Saying a prayer for you. Oh goodness, now I'm scared I may have talked them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi!! I've never been so freaked out in my life!!

      Delete
  7. holy shitballs. We've had mice before. Annoying....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Were they hard to get rid of?

      Delete
  8. Sorry to laugh at your hysteria but this was a very entertaining post! Good luck until Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry but this hysterical and I totally understand how you feel. I hate mice! Good luck until Wednesday. Thanks for stopping by I'm happy to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brooke, I'm new here. Found you on Jessie's blog. Oh boy am I with you. I totally freak out. Have had your experience a few times(have been married 53 years and have lived in 35 homes)....and I do "Preventive Cleaning" here daily.....I tell you the few that have invaded my home have had very short lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! I'm hoping this one will have a short life also! I was given the tip to put peanut butter in the traps so hopefully he'll be caught soon!

      Delete
  11. Hahahaha I am dying right now! That text almost made me pee my pants! I'm sorry that you were so freaked out... but don't worry, it was probably more scared of you than you were of it :) We had a mouse run inside our house through an open back door one night when we had it propped open to let some cool air in. We were all in the kitchen and totally saw it run across the floor. {We lived right by a huge open field that had a lot of mice!} I had all my in-laws visiting, and luckily one of my sister-in-laws was calm enough to chase it right back out of the house {while I shrieked in the background!} Hope you are feeling a lot better now. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha glad you've lived through a mouse scare too!! I felt like such a baby for getting so worked up over it but I have seriously always said that I would never ever EVER live in a house with rodents so when I saw that thing I was like "This can't be happening!!!" LOL
      All the mouse traps are empty so far so maybe it was just a random one that wandered in and I scared it back outside with my screaming! Sure hope so!!

      Delete
  12. That's just the kind of text I would have sent if I had seen a mouse! Luckily we don't have any at home but we have a tiny resident at work that likes to ruffle our bins when it gets quiet in the afternoon, I now sit with my feet on a box! So far, he has evaded pest control... here's hoping my resident and yours gets caught soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww! That was so sweet of your husband to treat you to your comfort food just to calm you down! >_< So, Fettuccine Alfredo somehow saved the day? Haha! :) Anyway, good job on calling in the pest control services right away. It should keep out pests for quite a while. Also, make sure to follow the preventive measures that the professionals have advised you to do to keep your home pest-free.

    Lucile Lynch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucile! And yes, the fettuccine did save the day! lol

      Delete
  14. LOL, Brooke! We have a drafty old country farmhouse, so I'm used to the occasional mouse but I still don't like it one bit. I never knew you could call an emergency pest control hotline! lol We can usually capture it in a box and release far away if the cat has found one or know to set traps. Glad you survived! :) Thanks for sharing your story with me!

    ReplyDelete