20 September 2012

Organizing Silverware

 Here's a quick little organizing project I did yesterday morning:

All of our changes upstairs have got me inspired to keep fixing other problem areas in our house. 
Like this drawer:



All the drawers in our kitchen are really small so there wasn't room to use a cutlery tray to keep our silverware organized. When we first moved in and I was unpacking I just threw all the silverware loose into the drawer with the intention of figuring out a better plan later. 

Fast forward a year and we are still rifling through a big messy pile of spoons, forks and knives. It's a pain when we're looking for something specific and can't find it- we don't know if we should keep digging because maybe what we're looking for is buried in the back of the drawer, or if we should give up the search because all of what we need are dirty. 

I do have to confess however, that the only time I like this setup is when I'm unloading the dishwasher- putting away silverware is super speedy when all you have to do is dump them in a drawer!!

But I've been getting tired of this disorganized mess. I was thinking about looking for a few long, skinny baskets to put in the drawer to separate everything. But then the other day at Target I happened upon a really simple solution:




Up until now I'd had our dish towels in a basket on the counter because they wouldn't fit in a drawer.



I bought the caddy and decided I would just swap the two- put the dishtowels in the drawer where the silverware currently was, and put the silverware out on the counter in the caddy. 







This only took a minute to do but I feel so accomplished now that I finally got it together and fixed this huge mess of an area! It's a lot nicer already to not have to dig through the drawer to find what I need!


9 comments:

  1. What a great idea - looks pretty and convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Smart idea. Isn't amazing that a small change can increase the quality of our life? Love it, Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! And it looks cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. followed you back :) http://xxxloveisbeautyxxx.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is so nice to get things like that organized..love it! cute blog, we are following you now- follow back! xo chaseandem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Still easy to put away from the dishwasher.
    Hint: I separate silverware in the dishwasher as I put them in. That way I remove all the spoons at one time, put them in their section in the divider in my draw and move on to the forks, knives, etc. Very easy and saves a lot of time.
    The caddy is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent idea and what a great time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea, Brooke. You always think outside the box!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a acquaintance that insists on eating with real silverware. He takes a set every time he goes to eat somewhere. I was wondering if there is anything to it. He says it helps keep his immune system healthy.

    ReplyDelete