19 September 2012

Our New Bedroom

 Part 2 of yesterday's post about the bedroom switcheroo that we did a few weeks ago. 

To recap:

The bedroom we chose when we first moved here SUCKED so we switched rooms and moved into the bedroom that we had been using as a playroom for the kids. It's smaller but the layout is better. 

Here again is the first bedroom we were in, in all it's original, dark-paneled hideousness:



And here is how it looks now, with a fresh coat of paint, a thorough vacuuming, and a bunch of toys:
{It's the new playroom.}



Today I will show you what the original playroom looked like, and how it looks now as our new bedroom. 

*Note: if you are looking to be inspired by beautiful photos of beautiful decorating, you will be sorely disappointed. There are no pin-worthy images in this post. This move was all about function (which I explained in detail in yesterday's post). 

In fact, other than painting the walls of both rooms, and *finally* buying a duvet cover (but nothing amazing, just the first decent one I saw on a 5 minute trip to Bed Bath & Beyond) I really didn't do much of any decorating in either room. Especially our bedroom. Since I can't do with it what I really want to do, I've chosen to just do nothing until we have our own home again and I can execute the fabulous plans that I have in my head. If money was unlimited than I'd probably go ahead and just do something in here, but it's not, so...I'm not. 


So anyways, after that long disclaimer to make me feel slightly better about my underwhelming reveal, here is the "blue room" as I sometimes called it, back when we were using it as a playroom:




And also a "real" view of it...what it looked like most of the time!



We didn't mind the blue walls for the kids, but when we decided to make this our bedroom we wanted to make it a little more neutral so it didn't feel so much like a kid's room. 
To keep things super easy I decided we should just paint it white like the other room, that way we wouldn't have to worry about taping off all the trim. 

Here it is in progress:






One of my biggest tasks while moving rooms was organizing all the crap that had been piled up on these shelves. 



I bought some storage containers from Target



then I pulled everything off the shelves and sat in the middle of the pile and sorted. 


I love the storage boxes I got. They have these dividers that pull out from the corners so you can section off the box, or you can collapse all the dividers back into the corners if you just want the whole open box for holding bigger stuff. I got three different sizes and they ended up working perfectly for everything on the shelves. 



And here are the shelves all organized and in their new room:


And here is the rest of the room:


We've got all these blank walls that I may eventually try to fill, but only if I find stuff that I know I could make work in another house. I do have one picture that's waiting to be hung in here though, that was hand-made for me by a friend. But for now that will be our only pretty thing to look at.




I am so thrilled that with this move, we were able to get rid of all the plastic boxes that we'd had our clothes in! 
We still can't fit actual bedroom furniture, but we swiped these cubbies from the kids' playroom and used it for some of our clothes:


And with some editing we were able to fit the rest into the closet in this room and a walk-in closet that's in the (new) playroom. I'm only able to get half dressed in here; I have to go into the kids' playroom to get a lot of my clothes (and I take it back- I still do have one big plastic bin that I have to dig clothes out of in that room's closet.) But that little annoyance is way better than having plastic boxes stacked all around our room. 

I'm actually able to vacuum our room now! haha



It's so nice to feel more organized. Besides getting the shelves in order, I went through all the clothes, and just all the random stuff everywhere. I got rid of tons and organized the rest. I put some of my jewelry in a cutlery tray to keep it orderly. 



I am sooo much happier with our upstairs! Everything works so much better for us and I feel like I can finally breathe again when I'm in our room!! 



7 comments:

  1. Your new room feels so much more spacious. I think it is a major improvement. You made a good decision by changing up the two rooms.

    Didn't know Target sells storage boxes with flexible compartments, thanks for the heads up. I really like how everything is organized especially the jewelry! Thanks for the good tip, Brooke.

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you guys are feeling much better in your new room. My bedroom is my favorite room- even if I can't really make it mine because I don't own it. But we do what we can, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference! It looks great and I love those storage boxes! So smart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great move! So SMART!
    Love the picture of kids in stroller with your treasures!
    Those bracelets are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this, a big difference! would you like to follow each other in gfc? let me know! http://xxxloveisbeautyxxx.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it!! Great job. It feels nice when you get a room in your house all organized and clean!
    I have the same book case. I use to store my shoes, because I don't have any other furniture to store them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww looking good! I love/hate how you always have to pull everything out to get it back in and looking nice. its worth it though!!

    ReplyDelete