18 September 2012

We Moved!

 ...Just to a new bedroom!

The one we lived in for our first year in this house just wasn't working for us. 
Like, not at all. 

We downsized quite a bit when we moved here, so we knew all our stuff wasn't going to fit. So before we left Florida we sold tons of it, including all our bedroom furniture, with the plan to live out of plastic boxes for the duration of our time here. (3 years, while my husband is in law school.) 

And we did live for a year with all the clothes that wouldn't fit in the closets in plastic bins stacked around the perimeter of the room. It was awesome. Not.

Despite this we still had no space in our room.  I guess people back in the old days slept in tiny beds or something because even though we picked the biggest bedroom in the house, our king-sized bed filled up pretty much the whole room. 

It didn't help either that while we're here our bedroom has to serve two purposes- as the room where we sleep, and also as my husband's office. So we had to be able to fit a desk, a filing cabinet, a printer, a shredder, and a bookcase filled with officey-stuff. All but the bookcase was lined up on the wall at the foot of our bed. But the area was so tight that we couldn't push the chair all the way out from under the desk without it hitting the foot of the bed. This made sitting there super uncomfortable, and it meant that if one of us was in the chair and the other one needed to get to the other side of the room, the person in the chair either had to get up, push the chair under and step to the side, or the other person had to just climb over the bed. Both options were really annoying. Especially when you're carrying a huge basket of laundry. 

And just walking around the bed was annoying because the space on either side was so tight that in some places we had to walk sideways to get through. 

It really truly sucked. 


And now this is the part where I start hyperventilating. 
Because this is the part where I show you pictures. If I had an inhaler I'd be sucking on it now. 












Do.Not.Judge me. 
I did the best I could with what I had to work with. 


So just before we left for our trip to Florida in August, Rob finally threw up his hands and said he couldn't take it anymore and that we had to get out of this room.

He measured the room across the hall that we were using as a playroom (we chose when we moved in to shove all three kids into one bedroom so that they'd have the extra bedroom for all the toys) and he found that even though the room was much smaller than ours, the layout was a lot better. We'd be able to have our bed in a corner, which I KNOW is a decorating no-no but that would give us so much more walking space. And we'd have enough room between the foot of the bed and the desk that the chair could be pulled all the way out from under the desk. 

Meanwhile, the room that had been our bedroom would make a way better playroom for the kids because it has so much more space. They have this huge bean-bag that took up almost all the floor space in the smaller room, but in the bigger room they'd still have tons of space to play in even with that in there. ("So much room for activities!" haha.) 

As soon as we got back from our trip to Florida we made our move. First we had to paint though. That brown paneling had to G-O. We painted it white and now it actually looks kind of cool! 



Ready to see what the room looks like now??.....




This is the wall that used to have the bookcase and all the bins of clothes on it. 



Dare I say it....I actually really like the paneling now that it's painted!




This wall is the one that was at the foot of the bed, where our desk and filing cabinet and (this same) tv used to be. 



The closet...using it for the boy's clothes because they keep their clothing in the playroom (the rest is in that dresser under the tv.) I love that I can also use it to store toys and games. 




That measuring stick is from Pottery Barn Kids and I got it a couple years ago. 




The closet has this kind of awkward wall on the side so I painted it with dark gray chalkboard paint and now the kids have a big place to draw. 






It's amazing how much brighter and how much cleaner this room feels just with a fresh coat of paint on the walls!! (That last part could also be because now I can actually vacuum more than the doorway!)

It really feels like a totally new room, and while it's far from my dream playroom, it definitely works for now! The kids love it and they have so much more space to play. And it feels really good to walk upstairs and not immediately see this super dark, super messy room! 

Tomorrow I'll show you guys the original playroom that's now our new bedroom!

7 comments:

  1. Amen to the painted paneling! I did the same thing in my family room (painted it white) and I really like it. Feels kind of cottagey! Looking forward to seeing your new bedroom!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bigger play room! Yey!!! It looks spacious. Great job, Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to paint the paneling....Smart.
    What a wonderful "play" room!
    Can't wait to see your new room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the painted paneling! YOu are very creative for such a small space! Way to go, I love it!

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you - I think the paneling looks great painted. What a great playroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The painted panel made all the difference. It looks bright and very spacious, the perfect playroom for 3 kids! Looking forward to see your room tomorrow!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a trooper for putting up with that all year! I bet you feel much more comfortable now. I'm glad you found my blog; it's so nice to hear about the lives of other student wives! I'm exciting to see how your bedroom turned out :)

    lifemedschoolwifeblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete