11 October 2012

DIY Flower Art

 Yesterday I said I'd show you guys how I made the flower art that I 
added to a couple spots in my house:





These were so incredibly easy to do- especially since I didn't rely on my own artistic abilities to do them. It's not that I couldn't have free-handed them, it's just that after they were done I wouldn't have trusted that they looked like flowers. Just knowing that I made them would have lowered their credibility in my eyes. 

So, I did what I always do when I'm needing a specific type of image for a project- I went straight to The Graphics Fairy

I knew I wanted flowers but I didn't want anything intricate. I wanted them to be super simple; pretty much just the outline of the flower so that where ever I put them they could kind of fade into the background and not be too showy. 
So I searched under botanicals  on The Graphics Fairy site until I found a couple very simple flowers that I knew I could make look even more simple if I only used their outlines (as opposed to all the shading and stuff inside the petals.) 

Then after printing them out I just held each image up to a window with a blank paper over them and traced them in pencil. Then I went over my pencil lines with gold paint. 








They have a really unfinished look to them, which is exactly what I wanted. Perfect for layering behind stuff without feeling like you're missing out on seeing something if the picture is blocked a little. 

(Like with this one:)



Here they are in their frames-








4 comments:

  1. Brooke, your artwork is so charming. And I love that it's understated and can be easily worked into a layered vignette. The gold is so pretty!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun and easy! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love easy projects like this! I can think of a great spot in my house for something like this. You're so creative!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flower art adds a great, fun pop! Love the graphic nature of it.

    ReplyDelete