12 November 2012

The Couch Fabric Has Been Chosen!

 On Friday I posted about these fabric swatches that I was playing with to see which I liked best for my couch. 



I can't even begin to describe how much I hate the microfiber it's currently upholstered in. 

Mainly because of spots like this:


These happen just from water spilling. Or kids drooling. 
The stains come out but it's a pain to get them out, and if you don't scrub the fabric just right you'll create new stains with the cleaning solution. 

It's maddening. 

Plus I'm just not crazy about the look of microfiber anyway, or the two-toned thing we have going on with the back pillows. Or the busy-ness of all the back pillows either, if I'm being honest. 

I've got big plans for this baby.



And the fabric that I've chosen to help execute those plans is the Bonanza Fabric in Natural by Slipcover Fabrics



{It's the one all the way on the left in this picture}



My original plan had been to recover the couch in white fabric, that way I could wash it as harshly as I wanted to {meaning with tons and tons of bleach}.

But although I have no doubt that I could get out any and all stains with that method (it's why I buy white towels) I started to worry about what the couch would look like in between washings. Our twins just turned two and I'm feeling like maybe a pristine white couch is not the best direction for us at this point in our lives. 


Plus when I started laying the fabric samples around on different surfaces in the room, that Bonanza fabric kept jumping out at me because I loved the way it looked with all the other fabrics in the room. 

The pairing of it and the ottoman fabric is what sealed the deal though:


I love how it's kind of a marriage of the two colors on the ottoman. And the gray on the ottoman really brings out the gray in the Bonanza fabric, which is very apparent when you put them together. 
I think they will be perfect companions in the living room. 


And just as importantly as how good it looks, the Bonanza fabric met my other two criteria of 1. being affordable- at $18 a yard it was the cheapest upholstery fabric I found! and 2. being washable. That one was soooo important to me! I'm going to make all the covers removable so that I can throw them in the washer whenever I need to. And finding upholstery fabric that isn't "spot-clean" or "dry-clean" only isn't all that easy!


So there you have it- my couch fabric. I can't tell you how ready I am to get this project started!!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah! That's the one I had picked as well. :) Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your final selection! Using the fabric swatch to match your current pillows and ottoman is a smart move! Looking forward to see your newly upholstered sofa, I am sure it will be beautiful!

    P/S: Come by and enter my newest giveaway, Brooke! There will be two winners and each winner gets to pick anything $80 and under from my sponsor's store!

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2012/11/giveaway-win-80-item-provided-by-nicole.html

    Have a good week!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect choice! Will be with you for years and always look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, hi!

    Nice choice. Microfiber is so five years ago. I only have it on my office chair and I h.a.t.e. it! I am so glad you are tackling this project head on. Now I want to see the finished sectional. I bet you do, too!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice Brooke. I love how it complements the colors in the ottoman. I know you must be so excited to get this project going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric choice!

    I have that same couch, and while it's so comfortable I hate the microfiber and mismatched pillows, too. I can't wait to see how yours turns out! I'm sure it'll inspire me to recover mine, too!

    xoxo
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE what you chose. Washable couches are seriously the best. I posted my new on my blog today! Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The article has been informing that tee couch fabric has been chosen well with help of the article here.

    ReplyDelete