13 May 2013

Spruced Up Foyer

 I'm so happy that our entryway doesn't look like this anymore:



After the addition of a table, and a bit of pattern from the little bowl sitting on it (both of which I already had) plus a couple new purchases, the room now looks like this: 




I love that it feels like an actual room now instead of looking completely neglected. I feel like the entryway is actually the most important room in the whole house. It's the first room to welcome you home everyday, and it's also where people visiting get their first impression of your home. And up until a few days ago, our entryway had nothing good to say to us or anyone else. But it feels a lot better in there now!

I loooove that I FINALLY have a fiddle leaf fig. 



I've wanted one ever since they started popping up in every single design magazine a couple years ago. At the peak of their craze I was seeing people getting fully grown ones for over a hundred dollars, which I know is pretty typical for a tree, but that's just way too much for me to spend on something that has a high probability of my killing it. 

But this little one was only $8.88 at Wal-Mart, which is so affordable that I can keep replacing it if I continually fail to keep it alive. I guess you'll be tipped off that something's not right if my tree never seems to be growing. 

But I'm crossing my fingers that this one thrives. It's so pretty now that I can't wait to see how much more beautiful it is at 6ft tall. 




I still can't get over this table's new look. I love it so much. 



The rug is from Overstock and I am really happy with it so far. 



Like the plant I got for in here, this rug was super affordable- only $46 for a 4x6 ft size.
It's a natural fiber and really thin, which is what I wanted because I didn't want there to be any annoying drag with the door when it was opened over the rug. 

This rug has no traction whatsoever on the floor; it slides around like crazy if you don't have a rug pad under it- which I don't. But I wanted to save us the extra $20 or so that a rug pad would have cost, especially since my entire budget for a rug was only $50 so the cost of the pad would have had to come from that. So instead I used a picture hanging command strip at each corner of the rug to hold it down to the floor and so far it's working great to keep in in place. 
The rug is still in that awkward, new-rug phase where it's got fold lines everywhere and doesn't lay quite flat yet. But with how often it gets walked over it should be smoothed out pretty soon.


I would love to be able to do more with this room- painting the front door a dark gray or black, switching out the light fixture, and doing some kind of board and batten to the walls would be first on my list. But since we are renting those things aren't options. (except for the light- but even then I'd have to get the deal of a lifetime on a fixture I loved in order to make it worth the trouble.) 

I would like to add some art in here eventually, despite the very limited wall space. 

But I'm really happy with this little update for now. It makes the view from everywhere else in the house look a million times better. 




*Rug Update*- it was going well with just using the command strips to hold the rug in place, until our yard guys showed up outside and our two dogs made a beeline for the door to bark at them. By the time the frenzy was over the rug was in a wad against the door. I've since broken down and bought a rug pad and it works amazingly. 

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes the little things make the biggest difference. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Foyer has come to life! It's hard when you "rent". There are so many things that you can't do. I know, Been there....But you have performed a miracle in that space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house is so beautiful! And I love the updates to your foyer - it's so cool what a difference a few items can make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The foyer looks so much prettier already with the addition of your new rug, new plant and table. I can't believe you got your fiddle fig leaf for less than $10. And I thought my $15 Ikea one was a steal. Thanks for the tip!

    By the way, I had mine for more than 7 or 8 months now and it's still alive. I only water it once every 2-3 weeks. Hope yours continue to thrive!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how creative you are. You always come up with ideas & solutions, even if it doesn't work, I still like hearing about it.
    The table is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete