13 August 2013

Painted Tortoise Shell

 Remember that green Nate Berkus tortoise shell I got from Target on clearance and added to my living room gallery wall?


Well now it's white.



And I like it so much better.

Even though the green went really well with some of the art, the shell still stood out a ton, and I felt like it was overpowering the whole wall.

Now that it's white it fades into the background more, which is exactly what I want it to do. It's become an equal part of the whole art arrangement instead of looking like it's always hogging all the attention. 



Plus with my bench plans I was worried that the green color of the tortoise shell was going to be competing with the fabric I'm putting on the bench, and there's already a big plant sitting on the floor right near there too, so I was worried the three of them together were going to create almost like a green triangle that was going to drive me nuts walking through every day.

{Not the best photo to illustrate that, but you can see the bench in the bottom left corner and how close it is to the shell.} 


I just didn't want this one little area to start looking like it was being taken over by the color green. 

So for all these reasons, the shell is white now. And I love it. 



11 comments:

  1. Very smart decision. It looks like it was meant to be white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it white too! It honestly looks even more expensive in white. I wish I had bought one of the NB tortoise shells - I walked by them so much, but just couldn't pull the trigger :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I almost didn't get one either because I didn't want to pay so much. I just got lucky one day and found this one in the clearance isle marked down to 70% off so I snatched it up. :)

      Delete
  3. Awe yes, Brooke! Painting it white was the right choice. It is such an interesting shape. But, ya know, when I saw it in the first picture, prior to reading anything, I said,"Oh, that is too dark for all of the other light white items on this wall." See I can be perceptive, too. LOL I love it white. Youareamazingasadesigner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renae!! And yeah it looks much much better in white!

      Delete
  4. Love that you painted it white
    It really looks at home on the wall now
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it painted white. Such a good call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the whole space looks great... the white gives it a touch of brightness that suits the whole decor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good decision to paint it white. I think it looks great with your other artwork. If you ever got bored with white, I think painting it a glossy gold would look fabulous, too. Just a thought. :)

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that thought Jessie!! It probably will at some point get painted gold because you're right, it would look so so good! :)

      Delete