20 September 2013

A Picture Frame Makeover

 The dining room shelves are taking longer than I'd hoped, and yesterday I was needing some instant gratification. So I gave this old frame a quick new look. 

Before:



After:


I really like the cleaner look of the white frame. And the divider for using multiple photos is kind of dated so I was happy to let that go. I just matted the picture on a piece of fabric- obviously my ironing job was a little hasty but it's not nearly as noticeable in real life like it is in the picture. 

I cut this family photo of us into a square to use in the frame:


It's obviously not a perfect photo of us- it's one of about a billion my poor mother-in-law took when our oldest was baptized earlier this summer. We tried forever to get a picture where everyone was looking at the camera and smiling. I don't know what it is but although our oldest son has a super cute smile normally, as soon as a camera comes out he gets this look on his face like he is in pain. I kept saying things like "Smile like you would on Christmas!" but that face was just a crazy one. As for me, I look like I just climbed off of a horse, but I was trying to keep my balance while holding a squirming toddler and wearing four inch heels while standing in the grass. Luckily my legs are pretty much chopped off in the framed photo. I'm sure this picture will get replaced some time in the future when we get a better family photo, but for now I'm kind of liking this one. Every time I look at it I start laughing. 



The frame isn't in it's permanent spot- I want it propped up on the mantel. But I can't put it up there yet because it doesn't work with the round mirror that's hanging up there now. I'm going to be taking the mirror down and replacing it with a couple big mirrored frames. I'm hoping that by having them up there I can still enjoy the pretty shine that comes from a mirror, without having to see the full, ugly reflection of the ceiling fan that we're seeing now with the round mirror. 

But for now every extra cent is going towards the dining room table, so the mantel will have to wait. 

The frame is making the tray on this table look a little crowded but it's not so bad that I can't stand it being there for now. 


You can see in this photo that my diy marbled bowl got a new home. If you missed the tutorial for this bowl you can find it here at decorating.answers.com


13 comments:

  1. Great transformation of that frame. I love the family picture!!!!
    I think you change things more than I do. It's a disease, you know that, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think pretty much every frame in my house that wasn't professionally framed has been reworked by me. LOL
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family Brooke! Great art makeover and so glad to see your peeps!
    Have a great weekend.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family Brooke! Great art makeover and so glad to see your peeps!
    Have a great weekend.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful frame makeover! You have a cute family! The boys like their father and your daughter looks like you, how perfect!

    Brooke, you look beautiful in the picture, don't be too hard on yourself! :)

    Have a fun weekend!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke, beautiful! I think you should rename your blog to:

    "The Touch of Brooke" because everything you do has your special, artistic, beautiful touch!

    Whenever I see your re-made, re-decorated, re-newed, re-furbished works of accessories or main pieces, I am always saying to myself, man, 'Brooke sure has that wonderful TOUCH that can't help but shine through'.

    and ...btw, you are blonde in the family photo. Now, since when? hahahaha ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the frame looks great how you styled it. It adds the much needed height against the other items you have on the tray. Great job! You have a nice looking family, and you my dear, are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read some of the comments, I think the idea of you blog being called "The Touch Of Brooke" is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "The Touch of Brooke" idea. Your framing is great and your family soooo beautiful. You are a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you use fabric instead of a traditional matte. Def an I idea I may borrow. Totally did not realize you were blonde, I had to do a double take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I changed my hair over the summer. Went from almost black to blonde. I need to update my profile picture! :)

      Delete
  11. Oh the after is much better! And love your home it looks great, like something from HGTV!

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alicia!! :D

      Delete