27 September 2013

DIY Fabric Pinboard

 I did something on a whim the other day.
I made a fabric pinboard and hung it above our mantel. 



I've mentioned a time or two that the mirror above the fireplace was driving me nuts because I couldn't stand the view of the ceiling fan in it. It made it so dang hard to take pictures in here. 


I've had my eye on a couple of big mirrored frames that I want for this spot instead, but for now every last cent I have is dedicated to the dining room. 
But a couple days ago I finally reached the point where I felt like I just could not take the view in here another second so I came up with a plan for something to go up here in the meantime that I wouldn't have to spend any money on. After pulling my house apart for a half hour I realized I had everything I needed to make a fabric pinboard. 

I used two canvases (originally used for this photo display, but haven't been hung in my last two houses). 

I laid them side by side on the floor and just kind of stood over them staring for a while trying to figure out an easy way to attach them to each other. I didn't want two smallish pinboards; I wanted one big one. 


In the end all I could come up with was to duct tape them together so that's what I did. With snakeskin duct tape, because that's what I had. 


It doesn't hold them super securely but it works well enough. 

Then I wrapped the canvases in batting and stapled it all the way around the back. 



I had a yard of fabric left over from the first time we upholstered our bench, so that's what I used on this. Now that the bench is in a different fabric, I'm excited to have this design back in our house; I really like it. 



And ta-da. 



I know a pinboard is a little casual for above a fireplace, and a little busy looking, but I'm kind of loving it. 





Look at all the sweet little stuff I get to look at all the time now:







So while it's not the look I've been planning on, it's really fun and I'm pretty smitten. 


The picture frame I just made over and have leaning against it on the mantel really pairs well with it since it's so simple. It's a nice relief from all the chaos going on on the pinboard. 


I'm also in love with the way the colors from the lettering in the wedding veil display underneath are repeated so many times in the kids' art and stuff on the pinboard. That's one of those happy accidents. The side of me that's never content with anything for long is also loving the fact that I can constantly switch things in and out of this display too. 

The view from our couch is definitely a lot more interesting!




Before you go, make sure you enter the giveaway for a $200 Sears gift card

Oh and today I'm over at DecoraUSA's blog with a quick dining room tip, so you can read that here. Have a great weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. I really like the new art! I'm a big fan of using multiple bright colors in your text. I have the same snakey duct tape that I've been saving for a diy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! You'll have fun with the tape- I've used it on a couple different things and I love it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love that! The most part is fastening to smaller canvases together, you smarty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea
    I might do that for our family room
    Please pass some motivation over my way! :)
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! I may have to do this for my home office! The snakeskin duct tapes makes me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete