01 October 2013

A Setback In The Dining Room

 I feel like starting this post with a big long wail. And a few dozen of these. :( :( :( :( 

Remember these pretty chairs I ordered from overstock for our dining room?




Well, this is now happening:


They are all boxed up and being returned because the legs kept breaking. We haven't even been able to use them for a meal yet (obvie- look at the table) but just by sitting in them to make a phone call a leg on two different chairs snapped in half. No one in our house is over 200 lbs so a chair should easily be able to hold any of us. After the first leg broke we figured it was just a fluke and a faulty chair, so we called Overstock (who were super helpful btw) and had the one broken chair replaced. But after a second leg broke on a different chair at the end of the week last week, we decided it must just be the design of the chairs- they just aren't very well made. And at this point I was terrified to actually use them because if they couldn't handle being sat in a couple times for a quick phone call then how could we trust them to hold up to regular use? I kept picturing our family coming for Thanksgiving and everyone sitting down at the table and having their chairs break underneath of them. 
So after coming thisclose to sitting down and crying, I decided we need to get something else. I sure did love these pretty chairs. And they were super comfortable. Also, I'm just so ready to have this dang room done. The one nice thing about all of this was that Overstock has really great customer service (at least all the people I've dealt with through this chair fiasco). 

So I'm now on the hunt for new chairs. And in the meantime our dining room is looking like this:



On a brighter note we are ready to begin phase two of the table. We're building it in three phases and phase one was the legs and base. Phases two and three will be the different materials for the tabletop and we've got the materials needed to go ahead with phase two. I am so excited to see this table come together. Now to just find it some new chairs...

Btw, don't forget about the giveaway for a $200 e-gift card to Sears from Coupons.com. Go here to enter- it ends Friday! 

11 comments:

  1. sorry about the chair, they do look good but yeah, quality is pretty questionable. good luck with the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so sorry the chairs didn't "hold up"! But, you probably will find ones that you will love just as much, if not more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chairs with breaking legs is not what anyone wants
    can you imagine at a dinner party
    not good
    good luck on the search for new chairs
    brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes that's exactly what I was imagining. How mortifying would that be if everyone's chairs broke when they sat?? No hostess of the year award for me after that haha.

      Delete
  4. That is crushing I know. So sorry! They were beautiful, but good luck in your hunt for others. I love that you are making your table, and how the legs and frame look so far! Can't wait to see it.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'm really excited about the table, if it comes out how I'm picturing in my head I think it will be my favorite diy so far! :)

      Delete
  5. What a bummer! I'm glad they were so easy to work with on the return. You'll find something great I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Yeah I was glad they were so nice because I was freaking out at the idea that I might be stuck with all these faulty chairs. Now my goal is to find something I like even better than them so that I'll actually be glad that they broke! :)

      Delete
  6. That's to bad...but thank God you can return them...the table looks great!

    ReplyDelete