24 October 2013

Contemplating Mantel Art

 I'm trying to figure out what I want to hang over our fireplace. 
I made a pin board a few weeks ago and hung it there, but I'm thinking that I want to move that over a few feet and hang it behind our tv. 


The only thing that bothers me more than those exposed wires is the fact that I've gotten used to them. I need to cover them up pronto before my standards start going completely downhill. I think the pin board should be the perfect solution because since I made it using art canvases there's like an inch of depth between the back and the sides, so it should be able to hang right on top of all those plugs and wires without actually touching any of them. 



For over the mantel I'm really really liking this photography print from Leigh Viner on Etsy:


The only problem with this one is that it looks like the largest I can get it in is an 11x14, which would be cool if it was in a great big frame with a giant mat around it, but I do kind of want something larger. So I'm still looking. But this is definitely the vibe I'm going for regardless. 

By the way, I'm over at the blog for Chandelier Warehouse today talking about making a front porch feel more welcoming by using the right lighting. You can read it here

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on wining the contest over at Jessie's Brooke! Maybe you can find something at Decor Usa to buy for that wall!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I had no idea!!! Ahhhh I'm so excited!!!! :D Yay thanks for letting me know lol!

      Delete
  2. Oh Brooke, I am sure you have a great item on the mantel soon. No moss grows under your feet, that's for dang sure. I would be covering up those wires pronto. I can not stand wires. Pet peeve of mine. Have you seen my instagram post about 3-4 for times ago with my Halloween decor? You inspired that (candle sticks with black and orange candles) and just wanted to say my trusty clock has solved a multitude of issues on my mantel. I always try to have the clock be noticed and enhance with what is on my mantel. See, you are teaching me! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad Renae!! You are so sweet; you always make me feel like I'm not just rambling pointlessly with all these blog posts! I always hope that I am giving someone ideas that they're excited about so thanks for making me feel like I do that for you! :) xo

      Delete
    2. I have a portrait of my boys when they were young over my mantel
      I know totally cliche'
      Brett

      Delete
    3. That's really nice though Brett! If I ever get a really good picture of all three of my kids together I'll probably do the same thing! :)

      Delete
  3. I think that's a great idea to use the pin board to cover the wires. I totally understand what you mean by living with something so long that you start to not notice it. Good thing you recognized it was happening! Picking something to put over the mantel is not easy because it's such a focal point that you want something great there. I'm sure you will find something, you have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Khammany!

      Delete
  4. I would get a quote from an electrician to see if you can move the wires...it might not be to bad...or you could get a bigger TV..the hubby might like that idea! Love the picture you found...it would look great above the mantel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hire an electrician but we are renting so I'm stuck with everything where it's at. My hubby would love the bigger tv idea lol. We've thought about hanging the tv on the wall to hide all the plugs but then we'd still have to find a way to cover them all up from under the tv...so that's why I decided to leave it sitting where it is and just come up with a way to hide all that ugly stuff up above. Things like this make renting such a pain. :)

      Delete