02 October 2013

Halloween Decorating Has Happened

 It's looking spooky up in here. 


Last week I wrote a post about my seasonal decorating- specifically for fall. If I'm going to make any changes to my home for the seasons, I want those changes to be subtle. Warmer looking pillows and throws in the fall and winter, a few jars of seashells in summer, and maybe some extra flowers in spring. That's it. I don't change the colors or overall decor style that I've already got going on. I decorate my house in a style I like, so I don't want to change that with every season. So any changes I make totally go with what I've already got going on with my normal decorating.

Holiday decorating is totally different.
Unlike with seasonal decorating, which is just for me, I see holiday decorating as something that's for my kids. So as much as all the jack-o-lanterns, and fake spider webs, and window clings of Winnie the Pooh dressed up as a ghost may start to bug me by about halfway through the month, I love just letting the holiday themed stuff be as flamboyant as the kids want it to be (to a point- I definitely wield the power to X anything I really don't like).  I haven't gotten into decorating for Easter or Valentine's Day but I decorate for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The decorations go up on the first day of the holiday's month (except Christmas- I put that stuff up the day after Thanksgiving) and then they all come down the day after the holiday. So even on December 26th we are dragging the stripped tree out to the road and taking down the lights from outside. I love this time of year when it's time to pull out the holiday decor and the kids are excitedly anticipating a new holiday every month. And just as much, I love the feeling on December 26th when all the holidays are over and the last of the holiday decor is getting stored away and the house is back to looking like normal. After three months of super themey holiday garb all over the place, it feels really serene and empty (in a good way) to have all of that stuff gone. Mmmm just writing about it now has me anticipating it. I love that good clean feeling. 

But for now, we are living in our own little Halloween Land and the kids are loving it. And so am I. 




11 comments:

  1. Love all the touches Brooke! My house has gone Halloween Crazee already! Check it out when you have the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture freaks me out, I love it!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love these pictures! I found a bunch at Target for a dollar a piece so I snatched up one of each. :)

      Delete
  3. This is darling. I miss my kids being at home! I don't have a lot of motivation to decorate for Halloween anymore since we don't even get trick or treaters! Hope youre having a great week.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I probably won't have much motivation to decorate for it either once my kids are out of the house- especially if there aren't trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood. But it's fun right now! :)

      Delete
  4. Brooke!

    Oh I am with you on the decor actually going with the home decor instead of "all of a sudden you are in an hallmark store" look. I have a couple of dear friends in my former neighborhood that are that type and I can't handle it. Kids love it of course, but please sisters, please. Where is your decorating training and skill when it comes to holidays??? hahahahaha

    I also read about your dining room table chair breaking. I burst out in a gasp and HM asked what? I told him and he was so glad you were returning them! I wish you happy hunting!!! I know you will find exactly what you want that also have strong supportive legs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renae!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I find something I love just as much. Preferably even better, then I'll end up being glad the first group of chairs broke! :)

      Delete
  5. Those two ladies are super spooky! How did you do it? Any tutorials to share? Love the flying bats with the orange candles, by the way.

    P/S: Come by and enter my current giveaway for a chance to win a set of beautiful velvet pumpkins!

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2013/09/giveaway-gorgeous-trio-velvet-pumpkins.html

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I'll come check it out! Oh and I wish I knew how to make the picture of the creepy ladies- I just found a few of them at Target! :)

      Delete
  6. Awww how fun. I wish I was in my house, I feel like I'm going to miss out on all these fun holiday decorations this year!

    ReplyDelete