21 October 2013

My Weekend & More Porches Than You've Ever Seen

 Last week I mentioned that my kids and I were going out of town with some of my family for the weekend to go visit my little brother who is away at college and watch him play in his school's homecoming football game (which they won btw!). He goes to school up in Virginia, so it was fun to get away from the heat here in Florida and enjoy some actual fall weather for a few days. 
 Here I am with my kids and my sister and her husband (my dad's behind the camera- he came too). 



It was my first time visiting my brother's school (Southern Virginia University) and I fell completely in love with the architecture of all the buildings, especially the main building on campus. It is this gigantic 4 story victorian and it's beautiful and kind of creepy and totally perfect for Halloween. 




Seriously, can you imagine having this much porch space?? And this isn't even the half of it; the building is so huge I couldn't fit it all into my phone's screen (without walking backwards for half a mile) so I just took a few shots of different areas. 

I loooved the curved parts on this side. 



And the tower.


It also has a view you can't complain about. 



Check out the entrance- the ceiling to this part of the porch is 3 stories high. 


Inside was totally what you would expect- really dark, tons of dark moldings all over the place, gigantic fireplaces, creaky floors. Walking around in it made me feel like I was at Hogwarts. It was creepy cool at it's very best. I was dying to sneak around and explore but I wasn't sure if we were allowed to so I only went as far as the bathroom. Next time I think I'll be braver and wander around a little more. 

I'm now jealous of all the SVU students who get to sit out on those porches on chilly mornings and sip hot chocolate while they wait for class to start! Maybe no one does that, but it's totally what I was picturing and just seems so dang charming. 

I'll leave you with one more porch shot, just because I can't get enough. 



9 comments:

  1. Ahhhh so gorg! What I would give for a porch like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! That's all I could think about while I was there!

      Delete
  2. The epitome of southern charm!!!
    So glad you had a nice visit
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest sister went to SVU & I loved visiting her. It's so gorgeous & the mountains are perfect. They had their graduation ceremony in front of that gorgeous building & it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I hope they do the same thing when my brother graduates!

      Delete
  4. What a super amazing and beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome "house"! Great house. What was it built for originally? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not positive but I think it was originally a girls' finishing school.

      Delete
  6. Very beautiful building, love the charming porches. Thanks for sharing!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete