05 November 2013

Checking Projects Off My List

 I have a self-imposed deadline for getting a bunch of stuff done around here. Some are diy's I've been wanting to try out, and others are to give a fresh look to a few things we already own that I haven't been loving. I told myself I had to finish this list by the end of the year, and even though I set it like 6 months ago, it's now November and I've barely made a dent in my list. 

At least one thing is finally off my project to-do list: 
painting the play table and chairs. That one is officially all wrapped up now that I've finished painting the chairs. It was a simple thing- just a few coats of white paint and a chalk-board for the tabletop, but it makes that cheap little table and chair set feel a little bit nicer. And my kids love it even more now. 



In other news, I am happy to report that I finished staining the dining room table legs yesterday and I got them to match the top! Woo hoo!! 
It was an hours-long process taking off the original stain on the table legs (read more about that here). I swear I can still feel my right arm vibrating from the sander. But I was able to get it off, and re-stain it in a way that it now matches the top. Thank freaking goodness, because I really didn't want to have to paint the legs and base. 
I have come to the realization that staining is a super fast and super stressful (for me) endeavor. It's nice that the process is so much quicker than painting, so it feels more like instant gratification. But you have to be SO FAST with the brushing it on, and then wiping it off, otherwise you are totally screwed. I was taking deep breaths and pep talking myself before each side I did. I'm glad I don't like much wood in my house because if I had to stain something every time I wanted a change everything would always stay the same around here. 

I'd been planning on not giving any full-on photos of the table until it was totally finished, that way my reveal could be a big surprise and I could be all, "Ta-Da!" about it. 
But this project has been dragging out for months and I realize that everyone is probably getting super bored with it by now so I need to give you something to keep the interest up. So here's a shot of it in our garage last night. Remember that those fluorescent lights don't make anyone look their best. 


It is thisclose to being done. I really need to hop on finding new chairs. (Read about that saga here if you missed it.)

7 comments:

  1. The chalkboard paint for the little table is a great idea. I bet they love it! The big table looks great too! I bet you can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! No I can't wait!! Dying for it to be finished!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! I love that table. It turned out perfect!! I can't say enough how that looks like a table that you'd find at a high end furniture store. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Khammany!! That makes me so happy!!

      Delete
  3. Love the little table set, your kids look adorable! And the table is perfection...love the colour as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love checking projects off of my list
    I finally checked a painting project off my list this week after procrastinating for weeks
    Brett

    ReplyDelete