04 November 2013

Dining Room Table Progress- It Has A Top!

Well part of one anyway. We still have to order glass to go over the whole thing.
But over the weekend we got this put together. 




  It has now been attached to the table base and stained, and now we've moved the whole {super heavy!} thing into the garage so I can remove the stain from the legs and redo it. The stain didn't go onto the legs as easily as we'd hoped so I'd decided to rough it up a bunch by sanding it and just making it look really overly weathered. It worked and I liked it when all we had was just the base and the legs, but then when we stained the top and it came out looking really really consistent and nice, I suddenly had a choice to make on which finish I wanted to go with. What had looked cool at first now just looked like a hot mess in comparison with the top, so the top finish is definitely what I'm aiming for on the legs. I'm going to give them a go again today and hope they come out looking like the top. The two are different types of wood- to save costs we went with poplar for the top, which was the cheapest hardwood we could get, and then a soft maple for the legs because that was the closest thing to poplar that the place we got our legs and base from {tablelegs.com } had. So I'm a little worried the two won't take the stain the same way. 
If I can't get the legs to match the top I'm going to have to paint them, which I'd really REALLY been adamant about not doing- we've already got painted shelves in there and I have plans for a sideboard that will be painted, so I wanted the table to be the one piece of furniture that gave us a big dose of wood so that things wouldn't look too painted. So keep your fingers crossed for me that I can get those legs looking like the top!

9 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished table. Think all your work will pay off into a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty!! I was trying to keep reminding myself of that the whole time I was sanding yesterday!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great workmanship so far on the table top. Looks so well made! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Hope you can get the legs to match! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I was able to- thank goodness! :)

      Delete
  3. You diys always blow me away. Is there anything you aren't afraid to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kristen!! :)

      Delete
  4. It is nice to have this kind of dining table which you made it more desirable on your design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great and since I am late to the party I peeked at the finished project and it really turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great and since I am late to the party I peeked at the finished project and it really turned out great.

    ReplyDelete