02 December 2013

Our Dining Room Table Is FINISHED!!!



 Halle-freaking-lujah; our table is finally done!!
It feels like it's been FOREVER since we had a dining room we could actually use so I am beyond giddy about {mostly} having this room finished. I still need a rug {which I think I've finally chosen} and we need to add some casters or something to the bottom legs of the settee to make it sit higher {right now it's super low since it's not actually made for use at a dining table} and I have a sideboard in storage that I will probably be using in here eventually. But, pretty much I'm done in here. I'm not adding drapes unless we end up being here for another year or more; then I might cave. Otherwise I think I'd rather not spend the money since this house is just a rental and I don't know how long we'll be here. 

But anyways, on to the photos!! I took like a million so get comfortable. 

Here's the room with our old table and chairs (that are now in the breakfast area of the kitchen). 


Holy crap, finding this picture in an old blog post made me realize that we moved this table and chairs out of here back in APRIL. I can't believe it's been that long that our dining room has been out of commission! 

Aaaannnddd.... 

Here is our dining room now with all new seating and the table that Rob and I built: 





I did a lot of other things in here that aren't as apparent but still made the room look a little fresher. I repainted the shelves with bright white paint because their previous color was making them blend into the wall. I also ended up painting the mirror because once the table was in here I hated the two together for some reason. So the black had to go, even though I really liked it. I'm toying with some different ideas for giving it a little more detail but for now the plain white is working a lot better for me than the black was. 

But enough about all that; lets look at the table some more! 


I am completely obsessed with the glass top and the opening that lets you see straight through to the floor. It will be super pretty when there's a rug under the table. 







The glass is super thick- a half inch- and really heavy. I was worried we were going to have to use some of those little rubber bumper things under it to keep it from sliding around on top of the wood, but it doesn't move. It took 3 people to get it onto the table and now even when Rob hit the side of it with his palm over and over he couldn't get it to move at all. So I'm completely comfortable with having it sit right on top of the wood. 









I'll have all the details for how we made this table in an upcoming post! 



16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This table is so freaktabulous! I loooooove it! It makes my heart go pitter patter! Did you guys design this yourself? If so, I'm thinking you should sell them! I can't believe how gorgeous this table is! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH Lucy!! I saw a table with an open top like this a few years ago so I based the design off of that. It looks really different than that one but still the same concept. I'll post a picture of it when I do the post with all the details on how we made this. I loved the idea of being able to see down through it, so I searched for one to buy like it forever and finally gave up and told rob we had to build one. :) I'm so super happy with it!!

      Delete
  2. Looks absolutely fabulous Brooke!!!! You guys should be so pleased!!!!!! Perfect for this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vel!! I'm so excited that we have it done in time for Christmas dinner!! :D

      Delete
  3. Looks great!
    Hope you were able to eat a little turkey on it
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brett! It wasn't ready in time for Thanksgiving, and we weren't here anyway, but that's okay because it's ready for some Christmas ham! :)

      Delete
  4. Your new table looks fabulous, Brooke! I can't imagine the time and effort you both put in to make this fantastic table. Good job, you guys! And the beautiful new chairs is a bonus!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessie!! Yes I love the new chairs with it!! I'm so glad I went with these!

      Delete
  5. I love it!! It really looks beautiful. And just in time for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Yes I'm SO happy that it's ready for Christmas dinner! :)

      Delete
  6. woohoo!!!! Love it, Brooke. The table looks fantastic, great job! The new look looks so fresh. Would you mind if I asked where you found your dining chairs? I can't afford the real Eames version and there's a few stores here in Canada that sell knock-offs of the real thing but the height seem to be too low for a dining table. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! The real version of those chairs is way out of my price range too. I got mine from Amazon- they were the cheapest I could find. I can't remember the exact price but it was around $100 for a set of 2 chairs.

      Delete
  7. I still can't believe you and your husband made this table! It is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dining table really looks fabulous. The fabric on your settee is very gorgeous and complement s the whole room very well.

    ReplyDelete