24 February 2014

Living Room Bookcases

 This weekend I was able to cross something off my list: getting shelves for the back wall in the living room. 


You will have to excuse the very crappy lighting in all the photos in this post- it's a dark rainy day and there's only so much that pic monkey can do. 

These are the Billy Bookcases (2 of them) from Ikea. I'd been considering the Expedit but ultimately I decided on these because they aren't as deep as the Expedit (they are less than a foot deep) so they don't  cut into the walkway behind the couch.




I'll be messing with how everything is arranged on the shelves forever. Already a couple things have been changed since these photos. 


Most of the books I faced forward but I did flip a few stacks around to lighten things up a little. I thought it would be fun to arrange the books by color but ultimately decided I was happier with how they looked when I just grouped similar sizes together. I'm using board games as space fillers on the bottom shelves until our book collection grows enough to fill them up. 
The photo above the bookcases is the same one that has been hanging on this wall- I just cut it to fit into the largest size Ribba frame from Ikea. 

It's always fun to see how a space has evolved over time so here's a look back at this wall over the past year:


Here it is with a console table when we first moved in:



Then with a bench:



And then with just the oversized photo:




And now with a bunch of shelves. 



It's nice that this wall finally feels really purposeful. Especially since I'm always daydreaming about how if this was our house I'd want to get rid of the whole wall to open up the kitchen to the living room more. So it's a nice compromise to turn it into something that is more functional. 



It's also nice to have our books out in the open now instead of shoved back in Rob's office. I'm constantly feeling the urge to sit down on the couch and read now!



Hey on a totally different note- I've got a giveaway going on for all design bloggers and professionals who register and make a profile on this free site. It's a place for you to share your design and DIY project photos and details, helping you to get more exposure. And the first 50 people to register are automatically entered to win $100 in store credit to DecoraUSA.com to be used on this lighting line. The giveaway ends on Monday March 3rd so register now! 

4 comments:

  1. They look great and add so much warmth to the space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brooke! I have always loved your use of WHITE! Marvelously wonderful or as I said on IG = WOW - WOW - WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Brooke and you styled it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really great, I'm glad I'm not the only one who decorates like this! I always seem to have to try one or two ok maybe more times to get things just right!!

    ReplyDelete