05 March 2014

So, we don't have a kitchen table any more...



In yesterday's post I showed you guys how Rob and I built that bench up against the wall in this photo, and I also gave a pretty big hint about my next plans for this room: 


Yes, I'm planning another table build! I want this one to be a mid century modern style- very simple top with metal hairpin legs. I've already ordered them from Tablelegs.com

So of course since I'm wanting a new table, I had to get rid of the old one. Especially since I was hoping for it to pay for the majority of the new table. And it will thankfully- I sold it on Craigslist over the weekend and got what I was hoping to for it. 

I can't say the sale wasn't a little bittersweet- we've had that table the whole time we've been married. We've eaten over ten years of meals at it. 








Yes, I have to admit I was just a smidge sad seeing it carried out the door. But it's just not at all my style any more. Any time I imagine my dream house, this table is never sitting in it. So that means there's no point keeping it. I don't want to hang on to something this big just for sentimental reasons. I have pictures and memories. It did help a lot that the couple who bought it was so super nice. They are building a new house and want this table in their breakfast nook. Knowing it was going to someone who was excited about it was really nice. So was tucking the wad of cash in my pocket and dreaming of my new table. I am so, SO excited about it. 

I love that our dining room table is one that Rob and I built together, so I'm really excited for our kitchen table to be something we made together also. 

11 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how this turns out. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for being able to part with something you are so used to seeing. That is always hard for me! The mid-century style is going to work so well with your other rooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and also congrats on being able to tackle these projects together without getting a divorce :)

      Delete
    2. Lol thanks Beth!! :D

      Delete
  3. You are such a brave soul! I am impressed! Good luck with your new table project. I just don't think I would have the courage to do what you did!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lulu! It's only my greed that makes me courageous- I just really want that new table! ;)

      Delete
  4. You are such a brave soul! I am impressed! Good luck with your new table project. I just don't think I would have the courage to do what you did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what it was you sold! I agree, it's always hard to let go of things that have meant something to you and your family, but like you said it will help make memories with another family now :) Can't wait to see the new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! Yeah it was kind of hard to do, but I'm so glad I did!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to see the new table! Love the design direction you are going! :)

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete