12 March 2014

Spring Cleaning

 Spring is on it's way, and it's got me in the mood to whip my house into better shape. Despite this post's title, I'm not technically doing that by actual cleaning. Since I have a daily cleaning routine that helps me stay on top of the house cleaning pretty well, I don't do a specific seasonal cleaning. Although one of the things on my to-do list lately is to update my cleaning schedule since it hasn't been changed in the past few years but my home and the days that work best for me for doing certain things have. So that's something I'll share once I do it. 

But anyways, what I'm working on lately is clearing the house of all the stuff I no longer want. I did this back in December with all the kids' stuff and it felt so great. So now I've turned my attention to myself and all the crap I've been hoarding in the closets that I'm never actually going to want to use anymore. 

It's been kind of hard to part with things over the past three years that we've been renters because I always worried that I might get rid of something only to move to a new house and have the perfect spot for it there and then be kicking myself for getting rid of it. So we've been storing boxes of things in every house we've rented that we haven't been using, and finally I've decided that enough is enough and I'm getting rid of most of it. 

I have allowed myself one box to store things in that I really like but just don't have a place for at the moment. That's mostly because it is nice to have spare decor items to rummage through in a pinch when I rearrange things and realize I've got an empty spot now that needs a vase/bowl/candle stick/etc. But as I've gone through all the spare decor items I'd been storing to decide what to get rid of and what to put in my one box to save, I've asked myself a simple question with each item to determine if it stays or goes: "Would I buy this now?" If the answer is no, I've put it in my ever-growing pile of stuff to get rid of. And I realized as I dug through all my boxes that like 99% of everything in them is stuff that I would not even glance twice at if I were to pass it in a store now. So it was super easy to whittle my stash down to one box. 

I've also been going around the house and removing anything we have that I don't love. This is just one area I was able to revamp by using an item from my "stash box" (the white container that's holding the flowers) so that I could get rid of items I haven't been loving anymore (the candlesticks). 


Before:


This is an example of why I like having spare decor items stashed away- because I can fix problem areas without having to run right out and buy something new. 


My stash just doesn't need to encompass 6 boxes and the area beneath my bed. 

But I'm not just getting rid of decorating stuff. I'm going through my clothes, shoes, beauty products...I'm being ruthless. Everything that I keep I want to organize so things are easier to find. And easier on the eyes since I have to look at them every day. 

Right now my attention is focused on this shameful area:
my craft supplies. 


I don't have the drawers cracked like that because I don't want you to see inside them- I just couldn't open them any farther. 

Nothing cheers me through this process like walking out into the garage and looking at the rapidly growing pile of things to get rid of. I haven't decided yet whether I want to donate it or have a yard sale. Or maybe just pile it all up in the yard, strike a match and then dance around it. 

I think the only thing I like as much as getting new things is getting rid of old ones. 

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way and am starting to get cracking on cleaning! Spring is in the air and makes me want to do a cartwheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm so ready for spring! (even though I'm in FL so it's not like I've had a brutal winter or anything...But warm weather sounds so nice!:)

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to be ruthless and purge things, too. Having just moved, I'm realizing there are some things I store but never use and it's time to let them go. I'm planning on having a garage sale once the weather gets a bit warmer. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to talk myself into having a garage sale too. I think if I come up with enough stuff to make it look appealing to people then I will.

      Delete
  3. Seriously. I cringe every time I walk into my closet...and I'm glad the hubs hasn't said anything to me yet. But I'm with ya, it feels so good to let things go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I'm still cringing when I go in mine too! It's a work in progress...And yes letting go does feel SO good!

      Delete
  4. "Would I buy this now?" is a great way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Katie! It's helped me get rid of a lot!

    ReplyDelete