17 April 2014

Easter & What I Believe



With Easter being this weekend my mind has been on my faith a lot. So today I'm going off topic to share it a little bit. I hope no one minds. {But you know, it is my blog:)}

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (nicknamed "Mormons"). I have been all my life. I love my church. I love the faith I have in God because of the things I've been taught since I was a child. 

If there is anything that I would want someone not of my faith to know about me, it's that I believe in and worship Jesus Christ. 
I know that Mormons are not always perceived as Christian by other Christian religions because we have differing views on some things (for instance we believe that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate people). Honestly that doesn't offend me. I understand that there is a "definition" for lack of a better word, that most mainstream Christians associate with Christianity, and that our beliefs as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints don't always fit into that definition. So I'm okay with not being seen to fit in because of a technicality.
But if your definition of a Christian is simply someone who believes in and worships Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, then please count me in (and every other Mormon for that matter). 

My church just put out this AMAZING video for Easter. It's short- less than 3 minutes. And it's message is so beautiful. It's about the Savior Jesus Christ, and what we have because of Him. That's actually what the video is called- Because of Him. And you can view it here

Someone told me once that it's damaging to a person's self esteem to believe in God. That going through life believing that there is an all-powerful being watching everything that we do and expecting us to live by certain rules is stressful and makes you feel bad about yourself all the time. So they said it's much more freeing not to believe in God, and just to go through life doing the best you can, believing that in the end the things we do and choices we make don't really matter all that much (at least not in an eternal-scheme-of-things type of way).

I feel the exact opposite. 

We all do things that we regret. We can't get through life without sometimes making choices that we end up feeling remorse over- whether or not we believe there is a God who cares about what we do. Sometimes regret is so bad it makes us feel physically sick. Sometimes it makes us feel like we can't imagine being able to pick up and keep going with our life. We see how we've messed it up and we don't know how we'll be able to clean up our mess and forgive ourselves enough to move on. 
I'm no exception to that. 
And if I didn't believe in God, then I would have to go through my life remembering the mistakes I've made, and I'd have to accept that those things were now just a part of who I was. That the things I hate about the history of my life all had to stay there, and even if I never made the same mistake again, it was always going to be there, sitting just under the surface of who I had become.

But instead, I know that I have a Heavenly Father. And He loves me so much, mistakes and all, that He sent His perfect Son to die for me, so that everything I do that I wish I'd never done, doesn't have to stay a part of me. Because if God can forgive me, I know it's okay to forgive myself too. And if someone was willing to suffer so much for me, then I must really be worth something. 
I can't imagine anything more freeing than knowing that. 
And that's what I have because of Him

4 comments:

  1. Brooke, thanks for sharing your religion views with us. I feel like I know you so much more now! :)

    Happy Easter!

    P/S: Thanks for your lovely comments on my birthday post! :)

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessie! Yeah I don't usually get that personal on here but it's a big part of who I am. You have a great Easter too and a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love this Brooke! I hope you have a Happy Easter as we remember what Christ has done for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke. I'm LDS too and loved your post. Great job and hope it was a wonderful Easter. By the way, I love the new look to your blog. The more white- it seems the more clean it looks.

    ReplyDelete