01 May 2014

Cleaning Quick Tip- Polish Your Stainless Steel Sink



I first heard this trick when I got to meet Sabrina Soto at an HGTV event at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. She did a Q&A and shared some tricks she uses and one was a surprising product for polishing stainless steel. She talked about using it on a stainless refrigerator to help repel finger prints but I've since heard of using it on sinks too and it's now my favorite trick for getting my sink to sparkle. 

What is it?


Olive Oil. 

After cleaning and disinfecting my sink I wipe it dry and then pour a small amount of olive oil into the sink. Maybe a teaspoon or so per basin. Then I take a clean dry rag and spread the oil around to cover the whole sink. Since it's a really thin layer it doesn't look or feel greasy at all. It just looks super clean with a little shine and my favorite part is that it erases the areas of light discoloration that can happen in the bottom of stainless steel sinks. Since the faucet is also stainless I do a really light layer over that too. 

It doesn't last very long in the sink since I always wash it out with soap and a scrub brush after doing dishes. So I don't do this with every sink cleaning. I just save it for once a week when I'm cleaning the kitchen and spending extra time scrubbing and disinfecting the sink. It feels like a satisfying ending to my hard work to get to see my sink really sparkling after it's thorough cleaning. 

Give this a try. You'll love it I promise. 

8 comments:

  1. Great, fabulous tip! And I know from personal experience that it WORKS!
    BTW....Your picture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty! And yes I love this trick!

      Delete
  2. Who knew?! I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah try it, it's very satisfying! :)

      Delete
  3. what a cool trick
    can't wait to try this
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how did I never think of this?!?!? Now I'm going to have to bust out the olive oil tonight and see how much I can get my sink to sparkle!!
    On a side note, is that your soap dispenser in the background?? I LOVE it!!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really???!!! I have to try this. I use Bar Keepers friend on mine and cleans it really well, but shiny? Have to try this Brooke. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete