27 June 2014

Cleaning Quick Tip: How I Clean My Microwave

 My post yesterday about cleaning brass with lemon juice reminded me that I've never shared what else I love to do with citrus juice: clean my microwave. 

I prefer to use a fresh lemon or orange if I haven't got lemons. I slice it in half, and either wrap it in a wet paper towel or put it in a bowl of water (both give pretty similar results.) Then I microwave it for 3-4 minutes and then let it sit for another 1-2. The microwave gets really steamy and then I'm able to wipe it out with a cloth and it easily lifts away any food that may have been stuck inside. And the microwave is left smelling super good because of the citrus. 

If I don't have any fresh citrus I just pour a small amount of lemon juice into a bowl and microwave it. It does the same thing, filling the microwave with steam that makes it easy to wipe clean, and leaving behind a super fresh lemony scent. 

btw...I'm over at Decorausa's Idea Corner with a post about vintage looking lighting and why it's so appealing. Check it out and have a great weekend!


  1. I do the exact same thing Brooke! Works like a charm and makes the microwave smell fresh!

  2. Your room is gorgeous!!!! With the lovely sitting area and tables and beautiful tea set…I could spend all day in there!

  3. I can't wait to try this out tonight. Thanks for the great idea :-)

  4. I clean mine the same way, except I put a little lemon juice in the water before I nuke it. It seems to give a little more cleaning oomph.