29 July 2014

A {New} DIY Pom Pom Throw



A few months ago, in an attempt to help cover up the ugly expanse of brown leather that is the back of my couch, I made a throw using a shower curtain and some DIY pom poms and draped it over the back of the couch. 


It was nice to have it back there breaking up the brown, but I didn't love that the fabric matched the couch fabric so well. Plus I quickly learned that my DIY pom poms were not strong enough to withstand my three year olds, who loved to pick them apart one piece of yarn at a time. 
So I've been planning on replacing this with a legit throw. 
It was actually my plan to replace it with a turkish towel because it would have the light weight look I was wanting. 

But I spontaneously changed my plans this past weekend when I came across some fabric that I loved (and that was also on sale). It was thin so hung really well, so I knew it could totally pass as a light weight blanket if I did something with the edges. And it's hard to tell in photos, but it has silver stitching all throughout which I love. 
Since it's only job would be to look pretty, I didn't need a lot of fabric- I just got one yard, plus two yards of white pom pom trim. 



I hemmed the two long sides of the fabric by folding it over about an eighth of an inch, and then folding it over again so that the raw edge was completely hidden. I ironed the hemmed edges and then sewed them into place.



I trimmed away the frayed edges at the two short ends of the fabric and pinned the pom pom trim to each side. 


The pom pom trim was just a little bit stretchy, so when it was pinned in place it was pulling the fabric and making it bunch up a little, which you can kind of see in the above photo. So to prevent that look from happening when I sewed them together, I pulled the trim tight from both ends as I sewed it to the fabric, that way it would be stretched out to the length of the fabric when it was attached and wouldn't be pulling in towards the center. Hopefully that makes sense! And it worked- the fabric isn't bunched or pulled at all. 


Obviously the fabric would look better if I'd ironed it, but besides the wrinkles, I think it looks pretty good! 


3 comments:

  1. I love the fabric---cute blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new throw, Brooke! The pom poms are such a cute addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So easy and so cute
    Looks great in your room
    Brett

    ReplyDelete