27 August 2014

Who Says Size Matters?



Years ago I felt like the most important feature of a house for me was space. I wanted as much room as possible because I didn't like the feeling of everyone being on top of each other and all our stuff crowding us out. 
However after four years of renting three different houses, all of which have been smaller than the house we sold before starting to rent, my priorities have changed quite a bit. Maybe it's the fact that living in so many different houses in a short period of time has really taught me what I want in a house, or maybe it's just that I'm getting older and more practical, but I am now at the point where size takes a backseat to quality. 

Don't get me wrong, I still would love having plenty of room. I definitely wouldn't turn down a huge, gorgeous house if it was in our budget. But because we have a budget, and because it can't get me every single thing I want in a house, I've realized I'd much rather sacrifice space so that we could afford  the kind of finishes I want. It no longer seems fun to have some massive house if it took up so much of our budget that we had to settle for an interior that was cheap and bland. What's way too expensive at 4,000 sf could be much more doable at half the size, so I'm happy to live a little more cozily if I have to if it means I can have the kind of floors/cabinets/lighting/etc that I want. 

Because of this new outlook, I've been admiring homes where rooms have to pull double (or triple!) duty since there isn't the space for a separate room for every need. 

This closet/office combo is by far my favorite multi-purpose room that I've seen lately. It makes me feel like I never want to blog anywhere but in a closet ever again. 


What would you prefer if you had to choose- plenty of space, or better finishes? 

9 comments:

  1. Brooke, I agree with everything you said. Feeling good in a space (better finishes) is better than having a ton of space with eyesore finishes that you can't fix (due to budget).

    I remembered when we went house-hunting 4 years ago, we came across a home (3,000 square feet or more) in our price range but the finishes were so awful (outdated black tiles enveloping the whole bathroom) and the flow was so bad. We knew our savings would be wiped out if we were to change all the crazy finishes and the house's layout. Fortunately, we stumbled upon our current home (about 1,600 square feet) that has a nice flow with okay finishes, lots of storage spaces, a two-room size basement, a huge living room with high ceilings and huge master bedroom and decided this is it! To me, quality triumphs over quantity anytime. :) Good post, love the closet/ office space!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking around online at homes for sale (even though we aren't actually looking right now) and I see homes like you're describing all the time- where even though a house may have a ton of square footage, the layout is so bad and choppy that the rooms look small and tight. I'd much rather have a smaller house with less rooms, but rooms that are larger and better laid out so that the house has a better feel inside. I love your house from the pictures I've seen, so I definitely think you guys made the best choice! Have a great weekend Jessie!

      Delete
  2. I go along! It's much smarter to have quality. I have seen so many huge homes with cheap finishes and fixtures. Quality always tops quantity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree! It's so tempting to get sucked into size but I've realized I wouldn't be happy if I hated all the finishes.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on this Brooke. In your first home with a small split-level home and I always dreamed of a bigger house. And now that we do, I now dream of going back to our smaller space! I love our home now with all it's space but it's hard to clean first and foremost and it makes me feel like I need more stuff all the time! LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yep that's another danger with a bigger house- more room for more stuff, so it's harder to stop shopping! You definitely have the best of both worlds though- a house with plenty of space AND absolutely gorgeous finishes! Your kitchen makes me want to die it's so pretty! Hopefully at some point I won't have to compromise and can have both size and beauty, cause there's nothing wrong with having both! :)

      Delete
  4. After being a home owner for many years and having many different size homes- I will opt for the smaller more well built home. I just don't need all that space to try and keep clean!!!!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yep more space = more work!

      Delete