05 September 2014

Book Review: DIY Wood Pallet Projects



I just finished the book DIY Wood Pallet Projects by Karah Bunde, who also writes the popular blog The Space Between. This book is all about how to create one-of-a-kind furniture and decor using wooden shipping pallets. Wood pallets are something that I've wanted to do a project with for years. Any super-dedicated followers might even remember that I got my hands on one for a really short time a few years ago before it was swiped from my yard. But I haven't actually attempted anything with one because wood pallets seem really intimidating to me. 

Where exactly do I get them? If I find one how can I tell if it's safe to use? (You know, like hasn't been soaked by the toxic chemicals it was carrying). And how do I know that the one I'm grabbing is okay to take and that I'm not actually stealing by shoving it into my trunk? Because I can't imagine anything more humiliating than being charged with theft for taking a shipping pallet. 

So I was so excited to read Karah's book because before she even gets into all of the AMAZING project tutorials using shipping pallets, she answers all of my questions and more in a section called "Wood Pallets 101". 


I learned where to find pallets (there are more options than dumpster diving!), how to tell if they are safe for indoor use, and how to know if they are slated for the trash (so free to take without fear of committing a crime) or if they are the type to be reused over and over again by a certain company. I also learned what to do with a pallet once I bring it home- how to clean it, prep it, and take it apart to get it ready to build with. 

With my confidence levels in my wood pallet knowledge significantly higher, I was super inspired when I then reached the main portion of the book, which is a bunch of different project tutorials using wooden pallets. There is everything from simple holiday decor all the way to furniture, and it all looks amazing. I really loved that every project has a section of quick info that gives you an idea of the time and money you'll be spending, plus what supplies and tools you'll need to complete the project. That way if you've got a pallet and you're itching to find something to do with it, you can quickly flip through the book and scan just the small info section at the side of the page for each project, and get an idea of what each project entails without actually having to read the entire tutorial first. 



The projects in this book are so good.
One of my favorites is this one: 
wooden shutters.


I also love- beyond my ability to describe- this herringbone coffee table. I mean, just look at that top. 



And because I have dogs, this cute little pet feeding station totally appeals to me.


There are so many great ideas in this book, and beyond that it is so informative! I love when I finish a book and really feel like I learned something that can help give me a new skill, and I feel that way after reading this one. I'm ready to rip apart some pallets and start building something awesome! 



I received this book at no cost in exchange for my honest review.  All opinions are 100% mine. 

4 comments:

  1. Great project ideas. The pet feeding station is so adorable and I don't have a pet. :)

    Enjoy your weekend, Brooke!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Brooke! Thank you so much for reviewing the book, I'm so glad you found it informative!! Hope you try a project soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karah! I loved the book!! And yes I can't wait to try a project from it!

      Delete