26 September 2014

Cleaning Quick Tip: Washing Trash Cans



This morning I did the very unglamorous but somehow highly satisfying chore of washing the kitchen trash cans. 
I love having them tucked away in the cabinet like this, but I hate when I pull the door open and it instantly smells like garbage. So gross. I spray them with disinfecting spray often but after a while it can only go so far to freshen things. 
So about once a month I put the trash cans in my bathtub and wash them out. I start by rinsing them out really well in hot water, then sprinkle the insides with baking soda and pour in some vinegar. I let that sit for a minute then add some dish soap and scrub them out. After they are rinsed I dry them completely and spray them all over with a disinfecting spray. When that's dry I sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom of the cans and they're done. If I skip any of these steps it's not as effective, but the combination of all of them works really well. Nothing like not having your kitchen smell like last week's dinner. 

3 comments:

  1. Great tips, thanks for sharing, Brooke! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, Brooke! I love cleaning with vinegar too. I bet it's nice being able to have your trash cans out of sight.

    ReplyDelete