22 October 2014

Halloween Skull Bunting



I took my kids to Joann Fabrics last week to pick out some Halloween decorations and was surprised to find that the Halloween isles had already been cleared out to make way for Christmas and whatever was left of Halloween was at the front of the store and at discounted prices. The kids were bummed that there was less to look at but I was happy to score a few new things for much less money. 

One thing I grabbed was one of those long rolls of printed burlap- it was 50% off so I only paid like $2.50 for it. Once I got it home I tried hanging it in different places but it wouldn't hang right- it kept wanting to hang so the skulls were facing the ceiling. So I laid it out across the dining room table knowing that at some point I'd try altering it so that it would actually work like a banner. 


Yesterday I cut it apart so that it was in squares, each square having a skull in the center. I didn't measure or anything to size them perfectly; I just cut about halfway between each skull. 


My plan was to sew all the way across the top of all of them so they'd be sewn together in a long row. But the only thread I had that matched the burlap color was a heavy nylon upholstery thread and my sewing machine was choking on it. So I gave up and started sewing them together at the corners by hand. Four squares in though I realized this was not going to work because pulling my needle in and out of the loose weave of the burlap was just unraveling the corners so the edges of the squares were falling apart. 
By this time I was cursing burlap, sewing needles, and Halloween, but I was determined to make this work so I got out the hot glue gun and just started gluing them together at the top corners.



 Thankfully that worked. It doesn't look as good as if it had been sewn together and had some space between the squares, but at this point I really don't care. It'll only be up for a couple weeks anyway. 

Something else I did was to spread some Elmer's glue along all the cut edges so that they won't unravel. It was messy work. 



It was about this time that my fourth grader arrived home from school and saw me sitting at the table surrounded by glue, burlap squares, and a partially finished chain. He came over and looked at what I was doing and was like, "Why did you cut them completely apart? All you would have had to do was cut between each skull till you were almost to the top but left a little bit of material still attached- it would have been the same as what you're doing now but way faster. You made a ton of extra work for yourself Mom."

Oh duh.

I felt like a moron as I surveyed my mess and realized he was totally right.
If only I had the common sense of a 9 year old, then this would have been a much easier project.

But at least it's done.


That's it for Halloween crafts for me this year! :)



3 comments:

  1. I can't help but LOLed at your 9-year-old suggestion. I think he made a good point, how very smart of him. I wouldn't have thought of that solution either and would totally do what you did. lol. But the most important thing is the bunting turns out great! You are such a good mommy, I am sure your kids are thrilled with the new Halloween decoration!

    P/S: The gold flatware I ordered arrived just now. I picked the one from Sur La Table. Overall, the quality is good. One of the knives has an unsightly tarnish on the handle but I can overlook the small imperfection for the amount of money I paid for. I will use them primarily for photo shoots/ styling because it will be too much work to hand wash them (although it mentioned on their website it is dishwasher safe) and then dry them with a piece of cloth.

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great holiday designing, my friend. I have missed you. I am blogging more regularly again and am dealing with a red hot left boobie but doing ok for being a bc gal. I love how you decorate and still maintain your usual decor and home. Ya know? Nice to be here again. I think I'll snoop around a bit while I'm here. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renae! I've missed you! I'm so glad you are doing better.

      Delete